Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Comp work like Auto Comp?

thompsoncustom

I'm not certain I understand what you mean by the two powders working alike. AR Comp is a rifle powder while Auto Comp is a pistol powder. They will each work well in their respective applications, but there is little likelihood you will be able to use AR Comp in handgun cartridges.

Guy

I can't be much help. Nowhere have I read that it was designed to mimic the characteristics of AC. Rather, it's promoted as being a lower flash/cleaner version of Reloader 15 and is supposed to run best with heavier bullets. Run a google search and you'll probably find many more opinions. FWIW, I've started using AR-Comp early this year when I was running out of 223 powders and it was available. I've been satisfied with it; it meters nicely and produced nice groups with loads from the upper and lower ends of the load spectrum using 55 gr Hornady. I'm getting ready to work on some 69 gr. SMK loads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ya i have not seen anywhere either saying it works like auto comp. I have some IMR 3031 that will work just fine with my 230gr bullet as long as the case will hold this monster at 2.799 OAL.

you trying to shoot 230g bergers out of .308? Good luck.

Those are 300win mag bullets if I am not mistaken.

You arent going to get much velocity loaded to 2.800 because you wont get much powder in the case. Im guessing 2200, if that, before you run into MASSIVE pressure signs. Just a guess.