Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

total reciprocating mass

TyinTX

My rifle is built around a 18" Nordic barrel. Currently I am running 11.5 oz bcg with 2.8 oz rifle length buffer. Option 1. Switch the bcg for a Voodoo low mass bcg as there is a good sale. Would take reciproting mass from 14.3 oz to 12.3 oz. Option 2. Empty the buffer of remaining weights for total mass of 13 oz. Option 1 gain increase in bearing surface and the dead blow affect of the buffer weights. Option 2 pick up $170 of practice ammo. Is total reciprocating mass more important than which component the mass is in(buffer or bolt carrier)?

As previously mentioned, those weighrs have a purpose, but you dont have to have all of them. Still need some filler in the buffer that has a little wiggle room. I replaced all but one weight with an appropriate size empty case. Works like a champ. I also use a low mass carrier with it...

I've got the Nordic barrel with the Carbon arms gas block. With the smaller gas port diameter supposed to be able to run low mass no problem. My buffer now is filled with delrin spacers. Only way I can get it lighter and keep some weights is switch to a carbine buffer with weights replaced and spacer in the extension.