Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Personal Range Insurance

I am hoping that we will close on our new house that sits on 11 acres in the next 45 days. The land is perfect for me to setup my own personal range in the back and practice whenever I want. There is heavy timber behind where I plan to put a berm and no houses behind that area for about 2.5 miles. My question is does anyone here that has a personal private range carry supplemental or secondary insurance on their range? From what I have heard, as long as you don't let others beside your family use it, you will be covered to the extent of your homeowners insurance policy. I just wondered if their was a inexpensive secondary policy (maybe something through the NRA) that would give me some additional coverage.

Nick

Check with the NRA, they do offer some policies. That is true about most home owners & family, but you do need to check your policy.

Remember 3ft higher than where ANY bullet will impact and addiquate to stop any projectiles that will be fried at it. Check with you counsel member you will be surprised the info the have acces to, they will probably be surprised too. Lol. Good luck.

I would first look into a personal liability umbrella policy, as a rider to your homeowners insurance. An umbrella policy covers all kinds of situations, and picks up where your homeowners and auto insurance end, provided the same company insures all. Depending on where you live and what insurance company you have, you can get a million dollar umbrella policy for about $200 a year. It wouldn't hurt to at least check with your own insurance company and see what they offer for coverage.

The umbrella policy may require you up the liability coverage on your auto and home insurance, so that will be an additional expense. Not sure but you may be required to have the same carrier for both home and auto.

Though I've never needed it, I had mine for over 20 years.

Bill

I will check out the NRA and also since I will be setting up a new homeowners policy, I'll see what coverage is there as well as what a umbrella policy would cover and if it causes an increase to my auto & homeowners.

I plan on building my berms up to 10-12 feet and possibly putting an 'eyebrow' on the top of my back berm to catch any ricochet's that impact the berm and try to scoot over the top.

Now I just need to start find some fill dirt (a bunch of it) to get lined up to start building up the berms.