Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good production race gun

rebelminion

Hello All,

I am getting back into my hobbie after taking some time off to do the married, work have three kids thing.

I participated in my first PPC course of fire in over 10 years last week and had my Springfield .45 1911A1 deform just about every piece of brass and ultimately jam on my second to last round.

Now, I am jumping through all the hoops of trying to make this gun more reliable. In the meantime, I am interested in finding out more about what the well respected competition stock guns are out there.

I have heard some great things about the Sig P220 Sport. It comes it at a price point a bit below many other tricked out guns for competition shooting and I would love to hear some real world feedback on this firearm.

Also, if anyone is using some other production gun they think is a star performer, I would like to hear about that too.

For the time being, I will continue shooting PPC with my .44Mag Revolver.

My skills are at a level where the firearm I am using is not likely to be holding me back. But I ultimately want to get a gun that my skills can grow into.

Thanks,

R

I think he is just shooting a .45ACP. The 220 is a 7 shot pistol and if you want to shoot production why not a 9 mm? Oh yeah, sorry, you US boys and girls only shoot with 10 rounds in your mags while in Europe we still use the old 18 rounds mags in Glock or Para Ordnance LDA.

What division do you want to shoot. If you are looking for Production the recommendation would be much different from someone looking for an open class gun. There really is not a division in USPSA that the P220 Sport would excel at. (IIRC this is the model with the ugly comp hanging off the end?)

rebelminion,

There might be some confusion here.

Many of the shooters on this forum focus on shooting IPSC/USPSA. In that realm, there is a Division called Production. Basically, an off the shelf gun with a non-single action (Glock, Beretta, etc.).

It sounds like you are looking for a gun to shoot PPC compeitions with? If so, let us know. Because that would drastically change the gun recommendations.

Actually, I am looking for something to sort of "grow into".

I am currently doing PPC. Once I get my accuracy back up where I want it, I plan on getting into IPSC.

I want to stay Production. I am not married to .45 but if/when the time ever comes that I can get a CCW I plan on carrying a .45 so I like the idea of keeping comfortable with that caliber.

Thanks,

R

Sounds like you are looking at production guns. In USPSA which is the US version of IPSC, the Glock 34 in 9mm is very inexpensive to shoot and one of the most popular. The same gun in 40 S&W is the G35. Both of these can be had for under $600. If you want to shoot a 45 limited 10 might be the best place for you. Not too many changes to equipment and your major power factor can help you in the scoring.