Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 9mm bullets in a SP01

Gdub

Did the plunk and spin test with Extreme 147gr RN in my CZ TS and found I could load to 1.190"!

Barely fit in the mag, but cycled the whole mag worth just fine.

I'll back them down to the 1.169" spec and test for accuracy next. Started with 3.5gr of WST. Just wanted to share my plunk test results.

Edited by IronicTwitch

Is there any advantage to loading to the maximum oal?

The shorter the OAL with a given powder charge, the higher the pressure, so if you're pushing the envelope pressure wise (like with heavy bullets and fast powder) the longer OAL can keep things acting the way you expect them to.

Then again, the longer OAL, the more powder it takes to make the same PF...

Accuracy also comes into play, I've heard of some shorter than SAAMI loads which were very accurate, so it's worth experimenting.

You seem to be one of the go to guys when it comes to cz. I'm about to switch bullet profile to a 147gn blue bullet round nose and i'm using IMR 700X. I have a Sp-01 shadow target stock barrel. What would you recommend trying as a starting point

Starting point for OAL or charge weight?

I've never used blue bullets before, but I have used 700X with 147s and it didn't work very well. 700X is a very fast powder which acts funny when over pressure (harsh, throws sparks...).

So if you're going to try this combo you should load as long as possible to keep the pressure down, I would load one to 1.160", then keep setting the bullet deeper until it fits.

As far as charge, 2.9gr got me 125 PF when loaded to 1.108", but only 123 when loaded to 1.136".

I liked 700X better for 40.

First, here's a post on how to determine EXACTLY how long the max OAL is for any given bullet with your barrel. Subtract 0.010"-0.020" from that and you'll be set.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196723

For my CZ, I found that I can load the following to 1.160" with no problems passing the plunk test.

Berrys 124g RN

Berrys 147g RN

Xtreme 147g RN

Bayou 124g RN

Bayou 147g (the flat tip profile) starts to engage the rifling sometimes if I load longer than 1.135"

Just about everything else that I've tried so far (Blue Bullets, all weights; Black & Blue Bullets, Bayou 135g) require me to load to 1.090"

Is there any advantage to loading to the maximum oal?

When you load longer, you'll generally have far fewer issues with ammo not passing case gauge. 9mm brass gets slightly thicker as you move down towards the base. Between that, and some brass having a crimp to prevent setback, I'll go from one or two rounds out of a thousand failing case gage with 1.150" lengths to three or four every hundred failing with rounds loaded shorter. Aguila and CBC seem to make up the bulk of my failures with short rounds, though the majority of them to actually pass.

Since I load for both my CZ and my Glock (since my girlfriend shoots the latter), I stick to bullets that can be loaded to 1.150" for all of my guns so I don't have to futz with the seating die, especially since it also means fewer problems case gaging.

Starting point for OAL or charge weight?

I've never used blue bullets before, but I have used 700X with 147s and it didn't work very well. 700X is a very fast powder which acts funny when over pressure (harsh, throws sparks...).

So if you're going to try this combo you should load as long as possible to keep the pressure down, I would load one to 1.160", then keep setting the bullet deeper until it fits.

As far as charge, 2.9gr got me 125 PF when loaded to 1.108", but only 123 when loaded to 1.136".

I liked 700X better for 40.

Sorry I was asking about oal. Right now I'm running147gn flat point with 3.0 or 3.1 gn of powder. That gets me about 132ish pf. I'm not really sure what the oal is I think its relatively short 1.09 or 1.1 most likely. My press was set up for me by a friend in February when I started and I haven't had a reason to change it yet until now. Obviously I'll need to buy a set of calipers to do this just haven't got any yet since I tend to procrastinate. When you say throw sparks I haven't seen that but haven't really been looking for it. I've been considering changing to something like titegroup but I still have 10 pounds of 700x Edited by g17drumr

When you load longer, you'll generally have far fewer issues with ammo not passing case gauge. 9mm brass gets slightly thicker as you move down towards the base. Between that, and some brass having a crimp to prevent setback, I'll go from one or two rounds out of a thousand failing case gage with 1.150" lengths to three or four every hundred failing with rounds loaded shorter. Aguila and CBC seem to make up the bulk of my failures with short rounds, though the majority of them to actually pass.

Since I load for both my CZ and my Glock (since my girlfriend shoots the latter), I stick to bullets that can be loaded to 1.150" for all of my guns so I don't have to futz with the seating die, especially since it also means fewer problems case gaging.

Ok that makes sense too. Thanks. Where were you at nc sectional? I thought you were signed up before

Edited by g17drumr

Some CZs have a shorter chamber. Give it the "plunk and spin" test.

What is the plunk and spin test?

Using your barrel to ensure rounds will chamber. Remove barrel from pistol and drop (plunk) round in and make sure it spins freely.

Some CZs have a shorter chamber. Give it the "plunk and spin" test.

What is the plunk and spin test?

Using your barrel to ensure rounds will chamber. Remove barrel from pistol and drop (plunk) round in and make sure it spins freely.

Great, thanks!