Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Tags" on a range bag

Aglifter

I've been shooting for about 3 years, and there've been 2 NDs, resulting in injuries, so far, on days I've shot - and a couple guys have needed their meds, etc. (Mostly, they just needed to get out of the sun.)

Would it seem too odd to tag a range bag with name, blood type, allergies, meds, etc? In off-roading circles, its pretty common to identify where the med kits are, etc.

I think it's up to the shooter if he wants to tag his bag that way. I certainly would not try to keep up with all of that from the MD perspective. And I will never, ever give somebody medication unless he specifically can tell me what to give him, how much, etc. Too much liability. I guess if somebody carries an epi pen and wants to announce to everybody, "hey, if you see me get stung by a bee and I fall out, stab me with this pen", I might go along with that.

But gunshot wound, direct pressure and call 911 with coordinates and address to the range. Let the professionals take it from there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I carry a "blow out kit" in my shooting bag. Molle med pouch with a tourniquet, quik clot, compression bandages, sterile gauze, shears, chest seal.

+1 to this. I carry the EXACT same stuff. Even if you're not familiar with all these items and how to use them, find a veteran, we're all qualified with this stuff and the training only takes a few hours. Can save a life.

Caveat for tourniquets though, doesn't matter how bad the guy is, if it's not your family or friend who is hit, get the guy or gals verbal consent to apply it. EMT's have gone to jail over that shit.

I carry a "blow out kit" in my shooting bag. Molle med pouch with a tourniquet, quik clot, compression bandages, sterile gauze, shears, chest seal.

+1 to this. I carry the EXACT same stuff. Even if you're not familiar with all these items and how to use them, find a veteran, we're all qualified with this stuff and the training only takes a few hours. Can save a life.

Caveat for tourniquets though, doesn't matter how bad the guy is, if it's not your family or friend who is hit, get the guy or gals verbal consent to apply it. EMT's have gone to jail over that shit.

Tourniquets used to be rather frowned upon but anymore they are widely accepted in EMS. A tourniquet can be the difference between living and dying in a lot of accidents, and the old adage of "lose a limb to save a life" doesn't hold true with modern surgery techniques and stuff.

TLDR: use the tourniquet.