Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 primer punch

Guys, I have a hopefully easy question. The primer punch located under station 2, is it supposed to be screwed in tight against the platform? I've had my 650 for 2 years and loaded several thousands of rounds but never really noticed it before.

Then last night getting ready to start on some 223 I noticed the primers were not getting sited in the primer pockets. I noticed the primer punch was loose almost to the point of being completely unscrewed. Tightened it up against the platform but now the primer disc wont turn because the punch when tightened down sits about halfway into the disc. The only way to get the primer disc to turn is to loosen the primer punch back it off several turns, is this normal?

Thanks...Eric

In case this helps...

650 Rotary Priming System Adjustment Notes

• Periodically (every 10,000 rounds or whenever you change primer size) lube the Axel Pin (in the middle of the primer disc) with grease.
  • Make sure the primer seating punch / bushing assembly is threaded all the way up into the platform. The top of the bushing should be flush with the platform.
  • The primer seating punch should be between flush with the top of the bushing to .020" below the top. There's no adjustment, it would be out of spec because of a collapsed spring or it's dirty.
  • Clean the interior of the primer magazine tube periodically. (Small cleaning patch with alcohol.)
  • If the disc doesn't rotate full travel (the primer hole in the disc isn't lined up with the primer seating punch) there are 3 possible causes:
    • Short stroke on the handle is the most likely.
    • Either wear to the primer cam, or the primer index arm is damaged.
    • If the primer index arm fails to return, either the srping is damaged or the arm is bent.
  • If an unused primer doesn't fall out of the primer disc, that can be a problem. Polish each end of each primer hole with a tapered cratex wheel/Dremel Tool.

Forum thread on 650 priming: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68532

I had a primer issue that was driving me nuts. Turns out that the little Allen screw that holds the spring onto the primer punch was loose. It backed out about four turns. Took it out put a dab a blue Loctite on it tighten it up and all was well again. Worth a check.

7u9y2yse.jpg

After reading this it got me thinking, do these primer punch springs ware out? Reason why I ask, I've noticed with my 650 just sitting there the punch sticks up a little through the platform. Don't notice any issue when reloading but seems like the spring might be weaker now and allowing the weight of the shell plate, platform, and handle to push the spring down more.

Well, finally got a chance to look over the primer punch. The actual punch sits above the bushing probably a good 1/16 of inch. Just made a call to Dillon and they got a new one sent my way. The guy I spoke with said the springs do wear out, my machine is only 2 years old with about 3-4 k worth of ammo.