Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can a slide be too light?

Icantdrive75

A buddy has a block of titanium laying around and he wants to turn it into a couple slides. Even without cuts, just going to titanium brings us down to 7 ounces. With the added strength of titanium there's no reason we couldn't bring that down to ridiculous levels of lightness, but I'm worried 7oz might already be pushing it. I always hear the less reciprocating mass the better, but there's gotta be a line, right?

I saw the idea come up recently on Doodie. IIRC SVI has done a titanium carry piece.

Per density specs Ti would come in far lighter than steel (almost half the weight). If you made it it probably would be a soft shooter but I don't think it would be reliable.

Once you get into seriously light slides it can be a challenge to get the mags to keep up with the pistol cycling. That, and at some point you will likely encounter difficulty stripping the round from the mag due to the pressure of the round against the feed lips.

A nice heavy slide mounted optic, a slide racker, and maybe a tungsten reverse plug might make it usable.

If you have the Ti and the means to machine it why not give it a try?

Edited by MikeRush

Hello: Titanium is stronger by weight. It is also very hard to machine and may gall without a coating of some kind. The other thing to remember it expands when heated. I don't see the benefit unless you just want the cool effect. I know titanium valves for a car engine expand alot and you must have more clearance to allow for that. As far as weight you can make a 5" steel slide pretty light if you want. Thanks, Eric