Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super load data for Tanfo Gold Custom

bayougump

Gents,

Can anyone share some load data for a Tanfo Gold custom in 38 Super for major PF? I have a couple Stock II's and a Stock III and a Gold Custom coming. I run an OAL of 1.125 in 9mm. What OAL is reliable and what are some powder suggestions? I've only ever used Titegroup but that I don't believe will be ideal for 38 super in open. Thanks in advance!!!

If u have a large frame pistol u could try this load, it was for a v8 gold custom, if u have a newer v12 u might have to play with the powder charge a bit. Id start a bit lower then wrk your way up to proper power

8.4 gr. 4756 @ 1.240" oal with 124 gr plated

Though 4756 is a nice powder, it will no longer be imported into the United States after this year (Pharoh's in Canada, and I don't know about there though), so if you do find some, you will not be able to continue using it. However, Pharoh's OAL and bullet selection will certainly hold up with a variety of powders.

Edited by Justsomeguy

The length I settled on with the 38 super tanfo and caspian mags is:

115/124 grain MG JHP = 1.235" OAL

115/124 grain MG FMJ/CMJ - 1.250 OAL

Powder will depend on what you can get. One tanfo v-8 shooter told me he runs SR7625 or HS-6 and claims these faster powders (of the ones commonly used for 38 super major) feel better than the slower powders like N105 or AA#7 in his tanfo gold gun.

But again, at this point in time you need to shop around and see what you can get.

BTW - Titegroup shouldn't even be a consideration for making major in .38 super! ;)

I would add SR7625 and SR4756 to that list also.

Even though they are phasing them out at the end of the year they seem to be popping up and available.

4765 is a favorite powder of mine and works with 124 grain bullets very well.

• 2 weeks later...

as per the other thread running my V12 I do:

124gn RN CMJ (frontier)

1.250 OAL (super reliable)

federal small pistol or small rifle primer (if using SRP just make sure you gun sets them off reliably)

8.2gn of N350

that gives me 168 PF. it's probably not enough for USPSA major being too close to 165 for safety. I'm about to try 8.6gn so I'll report back on that and on my 3N38 loads too.

I'd suggest get ahold of some of that 3N38 or N350 if you can. even 3N37 should be worth a try.