Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA CLassifiers

Jim Norman

OK, Here is what I can't put into words in the title.

A class in Limited, ergo B in anything else I am classified in. No problem with that.

Problem is: In order to improve my low ranking in Production (C Average) only B scores count due to the way scores are counted. This means that even thouigh I am getting better at shooting production, my percentage may still be below my "Real Average" because the low scores I started with are not being wiped out my newer scores because although much higher, they are still not "B" or higher.

It seems to me that the definitioin of a valid score needs to be tweaked a bit. If a shooter say shoots Open and make Master and then decides to shoot Revolver, goes to a Special Classifier and shoots 4 25% classifers, he is now automatically an A class Revolver shooter with a 25% average, only scores of 60$ count, so even if he busts his but, he gets no incremental boost to his average until he starts shooting a least 60's.

I am not looking to change the upper level of the system, just the lower part. Our Open Master still needs to shoot at least A-level to have his scores count.

Jim

Jim,

What difference does it make?

If you are A-class in Limited (your highest division)...then you are B-class in everything else. You percentage in the other divisions doesn't mean squat.

And, to "move up" you gotta get better good scores...better low scores don't matter.

I hear what you are saying, but we count the first four, no matter how low then you have to make your class the rest of the way. Since you are in the class you are in, why not count?

In my case, if you counted my six highest scores, I would have a B percentage. But since we only count B or higher, since I am an A Limited, my percentage in Production is C. The interesting point is that the last two that were not counted were within 5% of the class I am trying to make percentage in and would have counted were I only a B Limited.

This is one of those things I understand, but can't come up with an easy explaination to a new shooter.

Jim

PS, Nik, Can Too, Can Too, Nah nah na Nah Nah

No we don't count the first four no matter what they are. Look at my classification. In the Open you will see a 100%, 2 94's, an 82, and 3 60's. I have seven classifiers recorded, but only 4 are being used. If your score is B class in another division (1 of the first 4) and you are a Master in a different divison, the B class score will not be used in determining your class for the new division.

I think what throws the scores off relative to other divisions is not skill, but the frequency you shoot them ie:the number of classifiers you get. If you are A in Limited, but don't regularly shoot the others, then you have some gaps. If you shoot them all, then you will catch up eventually. The system keeps GM's in Open from shooting D in Limited and winning. If you can shoot an auto in any division, you should be able to shoot a class lower in the other auto divisions.

I am not advocating that your percentage be your classification. I have no problem havin an A Limited and B in everything else regardless of my percentage. WHat I am after is the counting of scores as I progress upwards.

The only real effect is on the shooter. I would still have to shoot B productin in competition. I only wonder why the otherwise valid scores are not used sionce it doesn't effect the competiton, it only allows the shooter to see his progress.

Jim Norman

Jim,

I understand completely. It takes 71.25% minimum to count in A, and if you are A, then nothing below 60% counts in anything you are B class by default in. I still have some 25-38% classifiers counting in Revolver, and some 50-60% that don't because I am A in Limited. I, like you and a lot of others, will need to shoot more classifiers in B percentages in Revolver to overcome this.

Someone told me that the software uses an algorithm to set the "do not count flags", and that you can call and request that they be used and a human USPSA staffer can set reset the flag manually so your classifier will count.

Jim:

As you know, USPSA has a rather unique approach to evaluation, measurement, and trimming statistics. The classification exhibits an upward bias with the exception of D class shooters and your situation.

Where this really shows up is when a shooter takes on another division. I know a fellow from Colorado who has posted about his frustrations with revolver division in a couple of forums. In his case, he is a GM with a bottom feeder so he automatically made M in revolver after his first four scores. USPSA has kept scores as low as in the 30's and flagged scores in the 70's because they are below the lower limited for M class. Kinda odd an A class score isn't counted, but D class scores are in the mix.

Ron,

This is exactly what I am speaking about.Why do we count a 40% for the first 4 to get a class, but not a 59.9% after that?

Nik,

Super Senior, Not a bad idea. Actually I just want to catch up with my Production and Open scores before I make the leap.

Jim