Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The purpose of mindfullness

stuart1

Perhaps the real purpose of mindfulness is simply to be effortlessly fully aware of one's own mind. And perhaps achieving that you are then equally effortlessly mindful of no thing and of everything...or now that I've said it, perhaps not! Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Mindfulness - pay attention at every moment, not just to the world around you, but to your own mind and how is it functioning. This is the purpose of concentrative meditation - to develop the skill of examining your mind in action and gently directing it to focus on what you want it to. This sort of constant awareness of your mental functioning is called mindfulness and is one of the most important ways that meditation practice translates into more general self improvement. The mindful person never acts thoughtlessly, never allows silly things to upset them.

So, what isn't silly? Making little holes in cardboard and knocking over pieces of steel...silly or serious? I know the answer that my wife would give but she's also the one that chases me out of the house to go shoot.

DNH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is no purpose that underlies being mindful, of being in "mindfulness." It is only a state of consciousness that you cannot consciously achieve.

It is fully known only when there is no attempt to be mindful, when there is no "trying," and no attempt at being mindful. You can try mindfulness but it lasts seconds at best. When it is implemented as a concept, it will not appear. When it is forgotten, it comes upon you until it is realized as being there ("I was in a zone!")--and then it disappears again. The harder we strive to be mindful, the farther away from it we become.

Yet mindfulness only comes through seeking such awareness. Or through sudden realization. Like all things Zen, it refuses to be nailed down. So continue the discussion. But have no expectations. :mellow:

Edited by pcg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest beyond3

The purpose of mindfulness is to create a platform for concentration practice as well as work on the grosser levels of the 5 hinderences. This is achieved by working with the 4 foundation of mindfullness. A lot of or meditators minimize it therefore never eradicate habit patterns that keep suffering alive and well. Mindfulness is the base a main tool along with concentration practice, metta practice, impermanence practices....

The purpose of mindfulness is to create a platform for concentration practice as well as work on the grosser levels of the 5 hinderences. This is achieved by working with the 4 foundation of mindfullness. A lot of or meditators minimize it therefore never eradicate habit patterns that keep suffering alive and well. Mindfulness is the base a main tool along with concentration practice, metta practice, impermanence practices....

I believe that mindfulness also works with the most subtle and hidden workings of the 5 hindrances. Even with the body which we think of as "physcial" and not as delicate as thoughts, feelings or mental phenomenon. Plenty of stories of "seeing" the sun, rain and earth in a flower. The flower is delicate and yet the vital ingredients are the sun, rain and dirt...

I like to get away from considering mindfulness as an entity in itself e.g. platform and more of a vital ingredient to one's practice. Just like sight alignment and trigger pull one constantly improves mindfulness. There is no direct way to measure the skill of mindfulness or of sight alignment or trigger pull but we can see the quality in the results... like all Alphas.

DNH

• 1 month later...

RE-learning Thich Nhat Hahn on this topic for many years; miracle of mindfulness is a practice, which is a perishable skill like shooting.

The purpose is to maintain an energy focus of task at hand, rather than the distractions of multi task entertainment. The more I practice it, the longer periods of mindful duration come more natural, with less "effort".

One area which makes this easier to do is improving diet; removing white sugars and caffeinated drinks is a good portion of equation-remove the garbage in portion, and quality coming out is enhanced.

enroute,

Thanks for bringing up RE-learning.

We return to the present moment over and over. As reality is instantaneously created we witness it moment by moment. Every time we see something new. In a way this is RE-learning.

Reading through a book for another time we begin to see more and more in the words from the wisdom we have developed through mindfulness. This is an example that I would call RE-learning.

Brian's book is a good one for this RE-learning. The words constantly have a new and deeper meaning.

Today it's page 82 - Looking the Shot Off.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

Been working mindfulness meditation into my schedule as best as I can. What I'm finding is, it's hard to stay focused on the moment, but it is teaching me to be present in the moment and not let the past or the future (which we have no control over) interfere with being now. I really feel out of sorts when I miss my time to practice.

I believe shooting has the same affect for me as well, it's where I can focus on only what is now, make the plan and go. I can tell I've been missing that a lot this year and it's had it's affects.

There is no perfection, there is only practice.