Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing a shotgun

I know this has been beat to death but here is my question.

If I can get a Remington versa max tactical new for $850, should I get it and send it off to one of the recommended companies to modify it, or should I buy the versa max competition model for around $1350?

It looks like it will cost about $500-600 to modify the tactical version. But seems the competition model still needs some love too.

If I get the tactical instead of the competition, do I need to replace the magazine tube as well?

I am currently in Afghanistan and I am chomping at the bit to go ahead and order the shotgun and have it modified so it will be waiting for me when I get home. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you've got your heart set on a VM, but I'd advise taking a close look at the Benelli M1 / M2 before you get a Versa.

I redeployed out of RC-East a year ago and now my son is there at BAF. Thanks for your service and come home safely!

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you've got your heart set on a VM, but I'd advise taking a close look at the Benelli M1 / M2 before you get a Versa.

I redeployed out of RC-East a year ago and now my son is there at BAF. Thanks for your service and come home safely!

I have looked back and forth on the forums and have shot plenty of benelli's duck hunting. I have nothing against them at all but it doesn't seem like I am gaining anything by spending more for it.

Thank you for your service. I am very familiar with BAF but thankfully I don't live there. I wouldn't mind the cooler temperatures there though. Tell you son to stay safe!

I have a pretty open mind so I will give the stoegers a look as well

There are the Stoeger shotguns to consider as well.

Indeed. I have and use a M2, however if I was starting from scratch I would likely have gone with the stoeger. You can get one competition ready for about the entry cost on an M2.

Benelli M2 with a 24" barrel. Then send it off to Mike at Accurate Iron and have him do the full race pkg on it .. You'll be happy you did ... Finest 3-gun shotgun made, period ...

After I got one back from Mike it shoots slugs 1" low at 100 yds with no hold ...

So I have been looking into the stoeger m3000 and it seems like a pretty solid weapon. My concern is I keep hearing its a "great beginner shotgun for 3 gun". Am I going to want more later? I don't mind spending money for a quality weapon and "buy once, cry once". I am not new to shooting sports and have competed in the army. This is also not my first shotgun and I shot trap and skeet competitively before. Can anyone weigh in on this? Thanks for all the responses so far!