Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production gun: remove factory ambi safety

waktasz

I have a Tanfoglio and want to remove the right side of the factory ambi safety. The factory will sell me a single sided safety but it's $115!

I have a feeling it's not legal to run it this way but I thought I'd ask.

The Limited Pro comes with ambi safeties in the style I want...and they are on the Production list...but it will not fit in the box with the ambis on it. If it was legal to remove the right side it would be good to go.

Does any Production legal gun come without a right hand safety?

D4 21.6 is the rule:

"Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers."

Maybe someone who knows Tanfos like Kneelingatlas can help to identify one like that without a safety on that side. I found this on a similar discussion:

"A modification is

only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules

clause or interpretation which specifically declares

that it is allowed in the Division."

I went through this myself over a decock lever several month back, even consulted John Amidon looking for a rule to allow it. Bottom line: Unless the manufacturer produced a model with one safety lever it's an illegal mod.

Matt,

do you want to use an oversize safety -- or more accurately half of an oversize safety -- because it's only available as a dual safety?

I don't see any language in D4 to allow you to use a portion of a safety that's legal on another gun on the list....

Best bet: Reach out to DNROI....

It's available as single sided and ambi from the factory. The ambi safety would be too big to fit the box though, hence my question about running just the left side. I could just buy a single sided one, but they are $115!

I have an email out to DNROI already after I posted this thread and there didn't seem to be a clear answer.

The Witness Standard Steel which is on the production list comes with a just a one sided safety. Most of the safeties on the Tanfoglio steel guns can be swapped around. (I don't know about the polymer ones.) One my guns I could cross swap without any extra fitting needed to ensure proper function of the safety, but I have an older series of guns. It may not be true with the newer manufactured ones.

Presumably you've tried contacting Henning or Jim Jones to see if you can get it for a cheaper price? I replaced an a one sided safety on one of my Witness Match guns. I'll dig in my spare parts bin to see if I still have it.

Guess I'm confused why a gun that's to wide to fit in the box in the first place is on the Production list?.... it should be legal "as built" to be on the production list , I thought. The safeties on a Limited Pro are wider versions, on the left side, compared to the Stock series. I never thought of that before.But they aren't the WIDE versions on both sides are they? Are you sure it wont fit the box?

Guess taking a gun that's on the list already, then having to externally modify it just to make it fit the 1 5/8" box height is kosher.... Amidon says so.

Edited by sfinney