Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Shadow magazine recommendations, please.

MissionaryMike

I'm going to head to my local club and see if I can participate in my first USPSA production match next week. On a different thread, it's been suggested to have at least 5, or even 6, mags total. My Accu Shadow includes a few, but I'll need more.

Should I just look for more stock 18 rounders, or something else, like Mec gar? There are probably others I don't know about. What are your suggestions?

17rd MecGar is what I run (12 of them). I also have some (6) nickel plated CZC mags (MecGar) with ShockBottle base pads.

Here's my Production rig.

u7uhuma5.jpg

Edited by Quack

I have around 12 mags for every gun and caliber I own and rotate them. I usually carry six to the line with one of them being a stripper mag that goes into a pocket. Develop a habit of always loading to the max at all times. If you make the use of the stripper mag a part of your loading routine you will never regret not loading that chambered round and then having five fully loaded ones on the belt. You will never know when a mag may fail or drop in the dirt and become unusable.

It's hard to beat Mecgar and they manufacture many of the mags shipped with CZ's and Tanfos

Production is limited to 10rds per mag, so he can't load to capacity (unless using 10rd mags). For the make ready mag I load that to 11rds and keep in my front pocket.

Edited by Quack

I prefer the finger extensions on the CZ 18 rounders and they worked got me just fine but if you use them long term buy the plus 10% mag springs.

The 17 round MecGar or CZC nickel plated seem to be the best magazine design from a reliability perspective and the MecGar are a bit cheaper but if you go that way you might consider replacement basepads. I am using the nickel CZC mags and Springer Precision basepads but there are lots or options.

Three of my order 18 rounders have been converted to 22-23 round 140mm mags and another 3 are dedicated dry fire mags so I don't bang up my nice ones more than necessary.

I also run 5 on my belt and one in the gun. I used to run only four pouches and never needed a fifth. I now run 5 but I would really only need that fifth one if something went catastrophically wrong.

I am running DAA Race Master pouches and the occasional yard sales on magazines that I used to get with my kydex pouches is nothing but a faint memory.

+1 for the Mec Gars. I sold the factory mags and just run all mec gars now. Seem to have better springs and a little lip on the front of them which seems to eliminate the nose dive jam you sometimes get when you drop a partially full mag.

17rd MecGar is what I run (12 of them). I also have some (6) nickel plated CZC mags (MecGar) with ShockBottle base pads.

Here's my Production rig.

u7uhuma5.jpg

I run the identical setup and load one mag with 11 and keep it in my back pocket for the Make Ready command.

I keep 5 on the belt and one to load at start of stage (depending on course description). If my memory serves me right, I have never needed more than four except 2-3 times with a bobbled reload (or I failed to load a magazine.... :-( ).

I only use stock SP01 mags and use +5/+10% mag springs vice stock.

Production is limited to 10rds per mag, so he can't load to capacity (unless using 10rd mags). For the make ready mag I load that to 11rds and keep in my front pocket.

When I said "load to the max I meant chamber a round and then top up or use a stripper mag. Did I misunderstand? I'm in Canada so 10 round mags are the norm.

I prefer the finger extensions on the CZ 18 rounders and they worked got me just fine but if you use them long term buy the plus 10% mag springs.

The 17 round MecGar or CZC nickel plated seem to be the best magazine design from a reliability perspective and the MecGar are a bit cheaper but if you go that way you might consider replacement basepads. I am using the nickel CZC mags and Springer Precision basepads but there are lots or options.

Three of my order 18 rounders have been converted to 22-23 round 140mm mags and another 3 are dedicated dry fire mags so I don't bang up my nice ones more than necessary.

^^^^ If you run stock base pads, the SP01 mags are very nice, just get the springs as Alma said. If you plan on doing an aftermarket base pad like the Shockbottle ones (what I use - but I've heard the Springers are great also), you do need to use the 17 round mags instead -- that base pad on the 18 round SP01 body will be too long for the Production box.