Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polymer Frames

zhunter

Ok, more specifically, Polymer magwells, I mean what gives?

I like to dryfire, and in only a few days the magwell on my M&P is already chewed up.

Any of these companies ever thought of an OEM metallic lining for the magwell?

Ideas as to extend the life of my magwell?

Since I got my first M&P 6 months ago I have dry-reloaded several thousand times, and can barely detect some minute scratches on the order of what I have on my steel 1911 magwells.

Are you using empty magazines?

I have A LOT of reloading mistakes turned into dummy rounds (no primer, glue in the primer hole and colored red) to weight the magazines. I practice draws with a magazine in so it weighs right and practice reloads with weighted magazines.

Perhaps the roundness of the bullet at the top prevents the magazine lips from gouging & scratching?

Maybe that will help.

Edited by ParaOrdnanceLarry

Maybe they have changed the Polymer? I went and looked at my S&W Pro, which I shot in production for about 3 years and Dry fired the crap out of, and it's not beat up much at all. And no, I'm not nailing all of those reloads, my eyes suck I missed plenty!

I practice reloads a lot and, yes, I do see some plastic flakes on the table. It's then that I remind my self that my gun is a tool and the tool will wear with use. I can either leave it in the safe and have it stay perfect or become proficient in its use and replace it when and if it becomes too worn to use. Judging by the size of those flakes I'll be replacing the gun in 10 years.