Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LPA Rear Sight - enlarging slot

trgt

Is there anyone that professionally enlarges the slot on the rear CZ adjustable LPA sight (like on Tactical Sport or Target models)?

I know I could hack at it with a file, but odds are it sides wouldn't be straight or even, bottom wouldn't be level, and would look like crap.

I like the sight picture of the Shadow/SP01 standard fixed rear, but I love the low profile adjustability of the LPA target sight (this one on an accu-shadow).

Ideally I could even just order that rear blade that unscrews from the sight, or even order extras that someone could do two for me.

I don't know any local gunsmiths that can do this, so looking of referrals or suggestions. I'm sure this is common maybe with other pistol stuff on modifying sights, maybe not hard or expensive for someone that can do, I'm not not familiar with it. Thanks!

I have looked for a different size blade and couldn't find one. I took mine apart and put the blade in a mill and opened the notch up myself. It turned out nice.

The problem with that is that the screw is staked and I ruined it and the tiny nut taking it apart. Now I need to order a new screw and nut and LPA and kensight don't list any parts on their websites and I haven't got around to calling and finding out about it.

If I ever do another one I will probably just tighten the windage screw all the way down and hope that it doesn't chatter and break the tiny carbide endmill.

Eta: I just called Kensight, the screw and nut were $12. If I ever do another one I am not going through the hassle of taking it apart.

Edited by leas327

I would try modifying the sight first. It's cheaper to replace after all.

Measure closely and try removing some material from the bottom of the sight notch first.

I took a triangle file from Harbor Freight, put a piece of tape on one side, and removed some material from the rear of the part that fits into the notch.

After I had it in I did notice that it left a slight very gap between the sight and the slide but the notch was solid and it all fits very well so no issues; however, if I had it to do over I would start by removing that material from the bottom first and then clean up the rear of the notch.

Cool, thanks on the encouragement to try myself. I do have an 'extra' one to try, pulled the rear blade off a broken one I had so will try that first. Thanks for the heads up regarding one part being staked. I was able to pull it off w/o too much trouble, so maybe owner before me had done something. I'll report back on results.

Oh, btw, what did you use to refinish sight after filing? Some black gun cote spray from brownells, or ?

took slide off as a unit, put tape on sides of it and tape in vice. filed by hand till i got the width, (140) i wanted and a little more depth. left the lpa all in one piece all on the slide. retouched with sharpie. then cleaned that off and retouched with cold blue. looks great.

Edited by rowdyb