Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono Results

ES13Raven

I just got a new 550b and after setting all my dies and testing - I made my first batch of 9mm:

147gr Xtreme bullets

1.145 - 1.150 OAL

3.1 grains TiteGroup

CCI Primers

Glock 34 Gen4

I took them to the Range today and I saw much higher FPS than I was expecting with only 3.1 grains of Titegroup.

I shot from 10 feet away, using a Shooting Chrony F-1 with diffusers:

Stock Barrel:

KKM Barrel:

I was expecting more like 880 FPS. It was 107* today when I shot - is that why?

With titegroup a little goes a long way. With 3.4 gr under a coated lead 147gr at 1.145 OAL I get a 143PF out of my 5.25 XDM, so your results sound about right. I would like to load mine down a little but with my pro auto disk powder measure 3.4 is the lightest charge I can throw.

I setup a new 550 this weekend and one of the things I noticed is mine tends to creep up in charge weight. I was loading 3.5g of e3 and would periodically check weights. Several times it would through 3.5 as expected but sometimes I'd see a 3.7 in there. When that happened I'd adjust the powder drop and continue. I wonder if you were experiencing the same sort of thing with yours? I've only used mine with e3 so far.

I setup a new 550 this weekend and one of the things I noticed is mine tends to creep up in charge weight. I was loading 3.5g of e3 and would periodically check weights. Several times it would through 3.5 as expected but sometimes I'd see a 3.7 in there. When that happened I'd adjust the powder drop and continue. I wonder if you were experiencing the same sort of thing with yours? I've only used mine with e3 so far.

I will check it again tonight, but it was consistent when I weighed 10 powder dumps right before I made these 15 rounds.

If you mean creep up over the course of the session then I suggest you consider the uniquetek micrometer powder drop. Sure it is REALLY a neat tool if you load multiple loads but what I found is it is so tight when adjusting that it stays put throughout even the longest loading sessions.

If you mean creep up over the course of the session then I suggest you consider the uniquetek micrometer powder drop. Sure it is REALLY a neat tool if you load multiple loads but what I found is it is so tight when adjusting that it stays put throughout even the longest loading sessions.

+1 on the Uniquetek micrometer. Best investment on my SDB yet.

I will check it again tonight, but it was consistent when I weighed 10 powder dumps right before I made these 15 rounds.

I wouldn't expect to see any appreciable change in 15 rounds. I'm talking after 50 - 75 rounds.

I'll probably get one of those micrometers as well but it'll be a little bit. I ordered the sky light from Inline Fabrication last night.

Edited by ZackJones

you will get more accurate results if you test your groups

at 15 - 25 yds

i do 15 - 20 i can't see 25yds.

also it will be more accurate if you test 10 shot groups

also i average 5 charges

for instance titegroup

3.5gr x 5 = 17.5gr

I do have the uniqutek micrometer worth every penny

also have the uniqtek puwder baffle

sounds like you got bit by the reloading bug

enjoy your new hobby but be safe.

Your Extreme Spreads are within a good tolerance (17 fps and 30 fps), so I think that nothing is amiss here.

If I give you a load and you try to duplicate it, ANY (and I capitalized that for a reason) step along the way can alter your results from mine:

- Your scale may be slightly off from mine. All it takes is an air conditioner running in the room and setting up an air current to affect this...

- You may be throwing 3.17 grains of TG, thinking that it's 3.1. I may only be throwning 3.10, which means that we're almost a tenth off from each other.

- Your crimp may be slightly tighter or looser from mine. (Just the variations in brass length alone would cause a significant error to creep in there.)

- Your barrel may have been cut with a brand-new button, which is larger than a worn one. That'd mean that your barrel was larger internally than mine.

- And my trigger wank/flinch may fling the bullet out of the gun with just a bit more "ooomph" than yours.

As you can see, this ain't an exact science and there are WAY to many variables to be able to predict results with any surety.

Edited by Braxton1

you will get more accurate results if you test your groups

at 15 - 25 yds

i do 15 - 20 i can't see 25yds.

Do you mean chrono the rounds at 15-25 yards? I chose 10 feet because I shoot IDPA Sanctioned Matches and that is the distance the rules say to use.

Thanks for posting about Uniquetek. I didn't know about them. They make a lot of good accessories for the Dillon, and I ordered a few today.

I shoot IDPA and USPSA

25yds is the optimal range for the pistols we use

-------------------

at 15 yds i'm getting 10 shot groups under 2"

usually 1.7", 1.8" and it doubles at 30yds between 4-5"

------------------

in the courses i have shot, some targets were at 75ft.

average distance of targets are 5-15 yds

---------------------

the chrono is setup at 10-12 feet to prevent muzzle

blast from throwing off the readings

but the targets are set at 15 - 20 yds to test accuracy

of the load.

I hope this explains it better.

I hope this explains it better.

Yes. I was not testing groups yet - just velocity. I usually test groups and adjust my sights for POA/POI at 25 yards. I plan on doing that after I get the load correct.

I'm new to this but for what it is worth 3.1 gr with a little shorter OAL averaged 870 for me yesterday. I was pushing a 147 MG out of a G34 with stock barrel. 73 degrees.

How temperature sensitive is Titegroup?