Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 frame, gen 3 slide - production legal?

cpa5oh

Does anyone know if a gen 3 slide on a gen 4 frame (with the factory beavertail) is production legal? I'm tired of having an infected wound on my gun hand...was gonna buy a gen 4...was told a gen 3 slide on a gen 4 frame would be legal - and that would save me a whole bunch of money.

You can undercut the upper rear section of the grip... Kind of a simulated beaver tail... But I'm pretty sure a gen 4 frame and g3 slide aren't actually compatible... I think it'll work, but you may run into issues over time, especially with ejection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't under cut or remove any material from the frame for production

I see, I don't shoot production... BUT, I feel like you could do a retexturing/stippling package to it... And do a lil undercut... Right? And no one would notice... Maybe.

This is why I shoot limited! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Gen 3 slide will work on a Gen 4 frame, but there will be a gap around the front of the dust cover. However, I don't think this would be Production legal since it's a different "contour" than the Gen 4 slide:

"You may replace the slide with an OFM or aftermarket slide which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun."

Why not just sell the Gen 3 and buy a Gen 4?

Gen3upperGen4lower_zpsbd06bb27.jpg

Kinsler, not looking to cheat whether anyone else knows or just me...and as far as "why do it?" - because I have a fleet of gen 3's and I'd replace the frames on all with gen 4 frames for the price of one gen 4. And I'm fine with every aspect of my gen 3's - briley fitted barrels, the sights I like...now I have to do it all over again with a gen 4 if the gen 3 slide isn't legal in a gen 4 frame. The only purpose of the gen 4 frame is so I don't end up with an infected, dropping wound like I had a season last year.

Thanks Russell!

I picked up a gen 4 a few minutes ago at a local gun shop. I'll use it for competition and get gen 4 frames and put my gen 3 uppers on then for practice.

You really only need one Glock set up for Production, so you can use your new one for that. Why not just put those Grip Force Adapter beavertails on your Gen 3s instead of going out and buying all new Gen 4 frames?

You're right about only needing one setup for matches and I'll have that now...as far as the grip force adapters, they enlarge the grips just enough to where I struggle getting to the mag release.

I emailed Amidon about the legality of gen 3 slide on gen 4 frame - I used the quote from the rules from Russell's post pointed out the gap between the slide and the frame from Russell's post...here's his response:

"I do not see an issue with these small differences, as long as the slide meets the other parts of the rules, length, caliber and contour your good to go."

The grip force adapter isn't legal for production...Russell was just asking me why I didn't use it when I practice.

Regarding what's allowed & not allowed, "what John says goes". That being said, in this particular case because there are obvious changes to the exterior of the gun - so I strongly suggest that you print off his response and put in your range bag. If you show up to a section championship or higher level competition then every RO who sees it is going to bump you to Open division if you can't back up your assertions - so you better CYA. Not everyone stays on top of every rule.

However I can't see why anyone would want to shoot a hybrid 3/4 Glock when both 3's & 4's are widely available and still around $500 new... ? But legal is legal.

Also please keep in mind that John Amidon has announced his retirement so whoever comes in after him may not agree with this particular ruling since the visual modification to the factory original exterior is so drastic and Production guns are supposed to "look" like they're off the shelf factory models. I could see this changing with the wind...

I think the rule that says that you're allowed to change slides as long as it's the same caliber and general shape (contour) eliminates the need for any concern over minor cosmetic differences. As I understand that rule, you could run a Lone Wolf slide which would clearly look different than the stock slide...but you are right - the next Amidon could completely disagree and so could an RO at a major match so I'll keep the email handy and ask the next DNROI to be sure it's still cool.

Whoever said that you can just pick up a Gen 4 for $500 way understated the matter - they cost $650-$700, you have to put sights on it for another $100 and then $50 or so more for miscellaneous stuff - so you're up over $800. And I have Briley gunsmith fit barrels in my Gen 3's - add another $200 if you want that in the Gen 4. I spent $1,000 to do what a $230 frame off of Gunbroker could've done...so $770 was part of the reason I was considering the Gen 3 slide on Gen 4 frame and I'm not rich.

In any event, I did buy a complete Gen 4 (rather than just the frame.) Just figured that with so many people saying it wouldn't work (I think it does) and that it isn't legal (I think it is) that I'd be just flirting with trouble running the Gen 3 slide on the Gen 4 frame. As it turns out, I think I'd rather just bleed on Sundays and shoot the Gen 3 - I don't like the Gen 4 mag release, the gun doesn't fit in my hand as well with the beavertail backstrap, and with the stock barrel in it shooting coated bullets at 25 yards I was getting 3 shots within a few inches of each other in the A zone, 1 charlie, and a damn mike (not every time, but enough to where I won't shoot it in a match until that gets sorted.) Maybe it just needs to be shot a little bit...but I hold a fist sized group at 25 yards with the Gen 3 or any other gun.

Yep, really bad slide bite. Apparently I was born with more fat between the web of my thumb and index finger than you normal folks :mellow: Last year for pretty much the whole summer it had greenish colored stuff coming out of it...

And I am talking about 34's, not 17's...but my point was all of the other bullshit that adds up when you setup an entirely new gun - here's what I've spent in the last two weeks:

- Gen 4 Glock 34 at local gun shop - $711 out the door

- Warren/Sevigney sights - $85

- Jagr Gen 4 guiderod - $30 (tried the adapter and it didn't work - last time I ever buy a Lone Wolf product because nothing I've ever tried of theirs worked)

- Briley gunsmith fit barrel - $180

- I already had spare trigger stuff lying around

So I spent over $1,000 to get a Gen 4 ready to compete...would've spent $230 on just a Gen 4 frame...