Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advancement only on plank

ctay

Many years ago when I was first trying out practical shooting, there was a stage designer who had dug a shallow pit, lined it with plastic, filled it with water, and spanned a reinforced 2x8 across it with an overhead rope for support. He "mined" the area between the start position and the board, as well as either side of the pit, with clay pigeons. Each broken clay was a penalty per the WSB (not even sure that was legal). But the biggest problem, and the source of most complaints, was that this whole section had absolutely no targets to engage. It was all a physical challenge obstacle before you could even shoot any targets. Massive waste of his time. Once someone found the right spots to run through the clay birds, no one used the board.

Just force the shooter with props to move along the plank. This is for a test of shooting skills, not Olympic 4 inch wide balance beam competition. For me might as well have me hop on one foot, close both eyes, and shoot weak hand only (sometimes the scores look that way :angry2:).

I agree that this sounds a bit gimmicky. But, I would have to agree that it can be done. Maka the plank reasonably wide and use barriers to force the shooter to stay on the plank. As mentioned, the plank is designated as the shooting area, and by design too much time would be lost going from shooting position to shooting position without staying on the plank.

I did a stage with plank a few years ago and what worked to get people to move along it was making a fan shaped array of targets to be engaged through a small opening between two walls centered on the plank, so the fastest way to shoot the array was to move and shoot on the plank.