Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 in IPSC

Clay1

I shoot in SSP in IDPA and thought that I could shoot in Production in IPSC with my G34. I see that on a couple of points I can't. One it says trigger pull minimum of 5 pounds. I put in a reduced striker spring and a 13 # ISMI spring and it is down to 3#, 3 oz in my gun. The barrel is over 5".

So I can't shoot in Production - what should I be shooting, again I shoot minor - 9 mm?

If you shoot in the USA, you're shooting USPSA Production, which allows all the mods you have mentioned. In the US, you're good to go.

If you're shooting outside of the USA, you'd be shooting IPSC Production and you could not use your Glock 34 irrespective of any modifications, as it's not on the list.

So I can't shoot in Production - what should I be shooting, again I shoot minor - 9 mm?

What 300# and eerw said.

Plus: if you're shooting IPSC (not USPSA), you can use your G34 in Standard Division (Minor scoring), or in Open Division (Minor/Major scoring) just adding a +2 basepad to your magazines. Of course, either way, it will be a less-than-competitive choice against Major scoring guns (Standard), or optic-sighted/compensated guns (Open).

Thanks. I shot my first match and they said that I could shoot in production. I didn't know the rules as this is my first USPSA match. I thought that I would learn more about the match since it was also a qualifier. You are all right in that I was looking at the IPSC rules which are worldwide instead of the rules for USPSA. Thanks for the pointer in the right direction. I was slow but shot accurately and it surprised me how well I did. I see that I have to speed up a bunch though to be competitive. I'll work on that between now and my next match - this coming Sunday.

I see that I have to speed up a bunch though to be competitive. I'll work on that between now and my next match - this coming Sunday.

Hi Clay! Welcome to USPSA. As others have mentioned, here in the US the G34 is legal for production. So you are good to go.

However, the comment quoted above really grabbed my attention. For your second match, I really wouldn't worry about speed. Please concentrate on safety - especially movement and reloading. Speed will come - but your second match isn't the time to force it :)

What is the most common model of Glocks used? (I am looking for an entry model)

Brandon

A G35 will do every thing listed above with the addition of L 10 and Limited and since it is a .40 there will be no penalty for minor scoring.

Do a search on G35 in the glock section.... :D

Shooter Grrl, the reason the comment on the speeding up. I shot a classifier as my first shoot. Bought the handgun and equpiment two weeks before the shoot so everything to me is brand new. I'm by no means a new shooter, just new at this particular game. I shot rimfire pistol silhouette (20 years ago), hunted deer with handguns, shot rimfire rifle silhouette and sporting clays.

I shot the 4 stage qualifier with 2 of the stages being shot clean. My reloads had hesitations and I did get confused with a couple of courses of fire. I've shot close to 750 live fire rounds so far and more than that dry fire. I'm a safety freak and should be able to speed up some more and still be very much in control of my weapon. Thanks for the comments and the words of encouragement.

Clay