Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Holster Draw

scottlep

I am trying to break a sub 1.0 second draw on small plates this year for Steel Challenge. I just can't seem to get below the 1.1 mark. I know to some that doesn't sound like a big difference, but in SC that 0.1 can win or lose a match when added up through a match. Below is a video of my draw. The average draws in the video are between 1.10 and 1.20, with a few slow ones since I had a bad grip. The video shows dry fire for the first minute, then the rest is live fire on a 10" plate at about 10 yards. If I try to speed up any more than what I am currently doing, I either get a horrible grip or get hung up in the holster because I am just trying to yank it out. I do dry fire draws for a minimum of 20 minutes twice a day, usually more. Can anyone see anything in my mechanics, holster set up, etc that might be keeping me for breaking the 1.00 mark? The less I think about the draw the faster I go.....the old "don't think, just do" situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERMzHVeTkus

Thanks!

Looks like you're pausing too long when you grip the gun. Also get your hands at the start of the beep.

It's hard to draw fast when you're tense. Try shaking out your hands and taking a few deep breaths. Visualize the dot on target and breaking a perfect shot before the buzzer goes off.

You're lower back and shoulders are very tense. Watch your hips in the video. As soon as the buzzer goes off your hips go backwards, your shoulders roll up and forward and you're ducking your head. I wasn't able to consistantly break a 1 second draw until I could really relax and trust that it does not take that much energy to get my hands to the gun.

Try draing in a mirror. Put a pice of tape where the top of your head is and keep it there during the draw. Start slow and relaxed and focus just on moving the arms and hands. Once you are consistant start upping the par timer .1 or .2 seconds at a time to see how far you can push it before your form falls apart.

Thanks for the feedback. It is just driving me crazy that I am so close, yet so far. I do make a point to totally relax my arms, and upper body and focus on a spot on the plate before I let the RO know I am ready. I always pick a spot on the plate and tell myself that is exactly where the dot will be when I draw. Focusing on a spot has helped me always have the dot where I want it and also stops me from getting too focused on the draw itself. I also noticed in my video, and after someone else commented about it, that my gun is canted slightly towards the rear at the muzzle. I originally had the holster set up so the top of the slide was perpendicular to the ground, so something must have moved. As far and Andreas' comment about pausing on the gun before I snatch it out of the holster.....it used to be a lot worse...about .5 seconds. I have gotten better at snatching it out but I can still see that I am pausing for some reason. I think it is a mental thing. Anyway, I will keep working on it and will give you guys an update when I break the 1.0 (if you care....haha).

Thanks!

Scott

You are definitely losing a lot of time with your grab. Are you pushing down onto the grip slightly to solidify it before you pull up or she you just trying to snatch it?

Edited by alma

You need to make the motion of an "L" once you get the gun moving. It looks like you are going from the holster to fully extended in a straight line. Bring the gun up more before you punch out. You will be able to start acquiring the sight and even break the first shot before your arms are fully extended. The way you are doing it, you only see the dot at the last possible second. I have people that I am working with set up a target right in front of them with the top somewhere between belly button and nipples to make sure that they come up enough to clear it before punching out with the gun.

You need to make the motion of an "L" once you get the gun moving. It looks like you are going from the holster to fully extended in a straight line. Bring the gun up more before you punch out. You will be able to start acquiring the sight and even break the first shot before your arms are fully extended. The way you are doing it, you only see the dot at the last possible second. I have people that I am working with set up a target right in front of them with the top somewhere between belly button and nipples to make sure that they come up enough to clear it before punching out with the gun.

Sorry, but many top shooters/instructors advocate exactly the opposite- punching the gun in the straight line from the holster to the resting spot (or very close to that).

That actually worked very well for me switching from the "L" shape draw.

I would say try to get your weak hand on your gun faster and closer to the holster- that tip helped me to reduce my draw time significantly. Basically I try to get a both hand grip as soon as the gun clears the holster. Try it.

Edited by DGAF

Sorry, but many top shooters/instructors advocate exactly the opposite- punching the gun in the straight line from the holster to the resting spot (or very close to that).

That actually worked very well for me switching from the "L" shape draw.

I would say try to get your weak hand on your gun faster and closer to the holster- that tip helped me to reduce my draw time significantly. Basically I try to get a both hand grip as soon as the gun clears the holster. Try it.

How about this:

nRweO.png

Rounded off corner, if my pic made sense.

Yes, there is a slight pause while down on the pistol.

I like to have muzzle cant forward just a hair. So the grip is parallel to the belt. Your hand at full grip will be at more relaxed angle.

Try this micro drill to speed up the draw. Alot could be reaction to the beep:

Set timer at 0.40 and practice from surrender to the gun within par time. After a few dozen tries, do the full surrender draw.

Edited by flack jacket

As others have said, be sure to not move any part of your body except your arms when you are drawing. That advice was given to me and it dramatically sped up my draw once I finally figured out how to do it. I practiced like Lee said, in front of the mirror. Bending your knees more and getting in an athletic stance helps me a lot staying relaxed in my low back and not shooting out my hips.

I run my gun muzzle forward, and I think that is much faster than muzzle back. Make fists above your shoulders and then bring your hand to your belt and your fists will be forward, not down or back. I would recommend trying that.