Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Island Revolver Championship

I'm trying to get the word out for the Long Island Practical Shooter's Association regarding their October revolver match. I am not a club member but I've helped get this thing together, so feel free to ask any questions you may have! There's no entry form up since entries will be handled the week before the event via electronic registration. That having been said, I'm looking to get an approximate headcount so if you plan on coming or are even strongly interested, let me know.

When: The 2nd Annual Long Island Revolver Championship is on Sunday, October 26. Match starts at around 9:30 AM (Get there earlier)

Where: http://www.lipsa.us/

How Much?: 20 bucks!

Other Details: The match is going to use ICORE divisions and rules, however, this is not a sanctioned ICORE match. There may be a classifier as a stage but the results will not be sent into ICORE. ICORE membership is not required, so this is an "outlaw" match. There will be 7 or 8 stages using a variety of paper and steel targets. There may be small awards for podium finishes in each division, I am still working on that. The amount of resources available for this match are relatively small, but the range setup is great and this club hosts multiple different action pistol disciplines. The range has a bunch of nice pits with a variety of props and targets available: in short, this isn't a hole in the wall in the middle of the woods. The setup is efficient and there are NROI certified Range Officers usually present for USPSA Level 1 matches. Round count is probably going to be around 200, but the stages are not yet finalized. There are probably not going to be any door prizes or prizes for top finishers.

The attendance at the last revolver match was pretty bad. The range is giving the revolver guys one more shot at this. If they don't get a reasonable attendance, there will be no revolver matches here. Let's get some support going! This should be a perfect match to introduce your non-revolver shooting friends, especially since there is no ICORE or USPSA membership required and the entry price is so cheap.

In addition, I am looking for sponsorship support: if you are interested in donating a small amount of money for plaques, or random give away raffle prizes, please contact me!

Good for you for helping put together this match.

But next time, if you're benefitting from the ICORE structure and rule format, please give consideration to running it as a sanctioned ICORE event. It's important to support not just the local group, but the national organization as well.

Significant effort was placed in securing ICORE membership, but the home club would not approve it, citing lack of interest from the shooters. The last "ICORE style" match had 20 shooters so the club thought that even the small investment required to secure ICORE status was insufficient. I have been trying to get a few clubs interested in running ICORE events and most places are either booked with their current match schedules, or are mostly interested in IDPA or local, informal "combat style" matches.

Funny, it used to be getting PPC and Bullseye, or a rifle club, to take a "chance" on those wild eyed boys of IPSC. Now IPSC is part of the establishment and hesitate to branch out. I've seen it locally also.

Cd662, Thank you for your efforts. It is an uphill battle for sure. I hope you will be rewarded for your efforts with a strong showing and your foot in the door to be able to bring more ICORE to your area.

Agree with Bubber.

Clubs that are too cheap to pay the minimal cost to be fully afiliated with the parent organizations (whether USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, or whatever), are not helping anyone.

But regardless, I wish you the best for your match. Sounds like you are doing everything you can.

• 1 month later...

Looks like we have some folks from all different parts of the northeast interested in coming. I recently talked to a few IPSC shooters from the "good ol days" that were thinking about coming out and dusting off the old reliables sitting in their safes. This is the perfect match to bust out all those guns that don't work for any other format!