Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for expert help ! Ok, just friendly advice.

Ken_Bird

I own a Sig 226 X5 9mm. 5" I also have the Sig 226 4.1" barrel.

Can I use the shorter upper end and barrel on the X5 ?

My goal is to use the short set up because of it being set up for open, tuned and ready to go.

Any advise................ Would be appreciated biggrin.gif

I concur with Staudacher. I've put the complete uppers from my P226 4.4" on my X-5 Competition and L1 and shot them without any issues.

Almost like converting the X-5 to an X-5 Short & Smart.

Well here is the final discussion. This morning I talked to Mineekin. He is one of the lead armours at Sig. He said while the 9mm 226 upper end will fit on the X-5 and everything will appear to work, there is major trouble lurking.
The X-5 is SAO the P226 and other 9mm slides are made for guns that are SA/DA and have a decocker. So the basics are there but would not be recomended to make the switch. He says the first thing you would notice is many FTF. This is caused by just not locking up right.

So his answer is NO

He also says the same for the 22lr.

Sig does make a X-5 that both these uppers will wok on just fine. Its the All ARound, it is an X-5 Hybrid and is also SA/DA so it works.

Hope we all got trained here. I did.

Oh, forgot, Sig warranty will be null and void if we got caught.

Thanks

Ken

:cheers:

The X5 short and dumb guns are nothing but X5s with regular P226 slides.

There is nothing different about the lockup of the two slides or the operation of the of the firing pin block. The X5 uses the same locking block as the P226. The SAO action components are the same on the p226 SAO as on the X5 SAOs. The P226 SAO slide is no different than the Slide on a P226 DA/SA.

Ok, if you are using a Sig 226 short SAO I will agree. Mine is a SA/DA that is the one Sig refers to. I do not know, that is why I called the maker.

:roflol:

Just to make it absolutely clear. The slide assembly on the SAO P226 is the same exact part number as the slide assembly on a DA/SA P226. Also the the slide for an Allround is the same part number as a slide for a X5 comp or L1.

Edited by staudacher

Well Dan, I am at a loss. As a novice just looking at the fit etc. I sure can see no reason this would not work. I must ask why one of the lead smits at Sig would give out such incorrect information. Guess I may just give it a try, and cross my fingers.

Well I'm sure as a company SIG or it's official reps are not going to tell you to mix and match parts regardless of compatibility.

I have run into this type of situation with Toyota/Lexus. For the Lexus badged 4Runner Toyota came out with a replacement rear drive shaft after complaints of a clunking sound. For the Toyota badge vehicle they just say you need to grease the slip joint more often and deny the existence of the Lexus replacement drive shaft. The original drive shafts are the same Toyota part #.

Well, will just give it a try. Sure hope I do not screw up my X5 its new.

But as in your photo I have a short upper already set up with RMR and Buis Sights. I have a da/sa lower just really wanted to use my SAO because of such a great trigger.

• 4 weeks later...

I've shoot my x-5 with my 226 conversion for years and not had any problems and switched the slides back and forth again with no problems,

I also wouldn't call SIG and tell them I was having a problem with my 226 slide on my X-5!!!!

I encourage you to do what makes you comfortable though