Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Versa Max

hrdstmax

I ordered my new Versa Max and I wanted to know what work I should get done to it when I get it. I have already ordered an Nordic +7 MAG tube a low drag follower and oversized bolt release button. I know there probably have been several threads about this already but I wanted to be a little more interactive and tailored to my questions. It's the basic Versa Max with a 26" barrel. Any input and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by hrdstmax

Thanks for the tip, I'm not sure what the going rate for labor is but I'm hoping to pay less than $250 when all is said and done. Most of the work will be sent out to have someone else do it. Thanks

I forgot to mention that I am willing to do some of the minor part installations myself but for most cutting or grinding on the gun itself I would rather have a professional do.

So I have called around for most of this stuff... The lifter, port and other work will run you about 150-250 depending on who you send it to.

If you can still return the Nordic mag, I would suggest the one piece tube from carbon arms... its a little more expensive, but not having a barrel clamp, and shooting POA/POI for sugs is a breeze once installed.

Before spending the extra money on a one piece i would suggest trying it with the nordic. I use a nordic and an XS rear sight and have no problems at all with slugs. There are many who run the nordic without a barrel clamp with no problems. Just an option.

The two best values for upgrades in my opinion is a Briley bolt handle and a C-rums welded lifter.

Briley make a tactical handle for both the field bolt (has a recessed cut to prevent the standard bolt handle from rotating) or the tactical / competition models (just a hole). Its longer than the factory Tactical handle and much easier on the fingers. Based on my luck with Briley's customer service however, you'll probably want to order the opposite of what you actually want to receive! :mellow:

As for the lifter, I'd still buy a welded up standard lifter over the new version Remington puts in the Competition model. As others have already found you can't always unload the magazine by pushing the carrier up and depressing the feed latch and I you want to cut your loading port further forward (like they did on the Competition model) the thing can still bite your thumb depending on your technique.

Edited by Hammerhead

I second Hadley Owens at crucible armament... They do nice work...

I have a $200 shotgun certificate for smith work, that I will let go reasonable... Email me at trey.ahlgrim@hotmail.com if you're interested

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info... I ended up sending it down to Triangle Shooting Sports... They come highly recommended and the prices are very reasonable. I am hoping to have my gun back within the next two weeks and will post new updates then...

Thanks for all the info... I ended up sending it down to Triangle Shooting Sports... They come highly recommended and the prices are very reasonable. I am hoping to have my gun back within the next two weeks and will post new updates then...

How did it come out?

• 2 weeks later...

So I just picked it up today from my local FFL transfer... The gun looks great.... I ended up getting the three gun package from Triangle Shooting sports.... The craftsmanship on all the work is top notch..... The prices are very reasonable and they are great people to deal with... I would definitely have work done there again...

I've had issues with the Remington base magazine tube threads being crappy which causes my Nordic extension to come loose all the time. I even run a barrel clamp to help it and its hopeless. I have a Carbon Arms base tube on the way.