Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make a workbench stable on carpet

ES13Raven

I bought the Harbor Freight workbench below. It gets over 100* here many days of the summer, so I'm going to reload indoors in the A/C.

The workbench is in my office, which has medium height carpet. The carpet doesn't help to keep it stable.

I am renting this house, so I'm not sure if I want to drill into the wall to secure the bench.

Anyone have suggestions on how to make the bench sturdy as possible, without a bracket to the wall?

toscoHh.jpg?1

Edited by ES13Raven

I used 2 small corner brackets mounted under back lip of bench and into the wall studs. Barely able to see, provides good stability, and easy to patch holes in the sheetrock with spackle if you move. It's either drill into the wall or floor.

Edited by JLeeCZ

What's the big deal with drilling a few holes in the wall where the studs are and then using hex head bolts? When you leave you simply unscrew the bolts, fill the holes in the drywall with a little spackle, sand and paint. Should take about 15 mins ....

Load the bottom shelf with all your bullets and anything heavy. That should make it very steady on carpet if you don't want to drill any holes.

I thought that but still got some movement when seating the primer. Had about 6000 bullets on a low, bottom shelf. Anchoring is the best way to get a solid platform IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem...I use an old computer table that has a 1 1/2 inch thick top. I mounted my 550 to it and when I seat the primer (pushing forward on the handle), I put my left hand behind the press before I pick up a bullet to load. Works for me.

• 4 weeks later...