Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

choke/pattern question

jrbet83

Ok here's a completely arbitrary question. We've had the "go-to" choke discussion many times before. But taking it one step more complicated, what type of pattern are you looking for your standard 90% of the time set-up. Most people like a IM choke, but an IM in a 21" M2 may perform differently then an IM in a 26" (insert brand her).

So when you go out and pattern your gun, are you looking for a xx" pattern at xx yards?

*** Most won't have a go-to pattern, but many well have the pattern size their chokes shoot. That info would be just as helpful

Edited by jrbet83

Shotguns are typically patterened by looking for a percentage of shot in a 30" circle at 40 yards. The more constriction the greater percentage of shot will be inside that circle. There are other variables that will determine pattern size such as shot charge, velocity, and buffered vs. Unbuffered.

When I pattern my gun I want to know what diameter my shot column is at a given range with a given choke. Then I look at what diameter ~80% of my shot is hiting in and I use that as my effective pattern. Choke accordingly for your most difficult shot.

Every gun is different so ultimately you will need to go out and do some testing with different loads and chokes and find out what works best.

No disrespect, but I would ignore the "typical" pattern stuff for 3Gun shotgun choke choices. Read Pat's article.

I "can" shoot an entire match with an Xtra-full turkey choke in my shotgun, but my times will be slow because I will have to make sure that I get the shot on the target, which for me means rifle-shooting the shotgun. The load and pattern are affected by speed and getting some amount (40 to 50%) of the shot on the steel target and at least 10% on the moving targets. If I used a Cylinder choke, there might (probably won't) be a few targets with less than 15% of the pattern on a plate, or less than 30% on a popper, which means it won't fall to score. When people have misses on shotgun, it is because their pattern is not on the target...in most cases. I am pretty sure a guy like Tyler can run an entire match with a cylinder choke with no sweat.

I put poppers out at 25 yards on our MEGA stage match. They were set a bit heavy and some guys with cylinder chokes and low recoil buckshot could not get them to fall. Most people are using too much choke, me included at times. :)

Edited by MarkCO