Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup and coated SNS bullets?

JLeeCZ

I got lucky and picked up 2 lbs of Titegroup at my LGS last week and 2 more this week. Have read that Titegroup burns pretty hot with lead bullets but want to try with the new grooveless 125gr and 147 gr SNS coated. Will start at bottom and work up since my Lyman manuals don't show the same profiles. Only interested in making minor with an accurate, fun load for target?IDPA. I also have have 2lbx Unique, 2lbx AA7, and 2 lbs Power Pistol but really want to try Titegroup. Anyone have experience with these bullets and Titegroup? The 125's I already have and the new 147 grooveless are on the way. Shooting in a Glock 19 and CZ PCR(125s) and in a CZ SP-01(147s). Any help? Problems with excessive burn/heat melting the J&M coating?

Edited by JLeeCZ

I have used Titegroup with Bayou Bullets without issues. I suspect the SNS will do likewise.

No excessive smoking? Can I ask what gun you are shooting through. Any issues in a Glock barrel if that's what you shoot? Thanks.

I have used Titegroup with Bayou Bullets without issues. I suspect the SNS will do likewise.

No excessive smoking? Can I ask what gun you are shooting through. Any issues in a Glock barrel if that's what you shoot? Thanks.

I'm using Titegroup with Blue Bullets (similar to Bayou & SNS) in a Glock 34. Very, very little smoke (almost nil). My load is 3.2 grains, OAL 1.145", Diameter .378, Speer brass, Rem primer, getting an average of 943 fps with a 147 grain bullet. Velocity spread is 21 fps. I've had no issues whatsoever using coated bullets in a Glock, thus far. NOTE*** I've only put 250 of these through my Glock. I plan to shoot more when they arrive. I've tried using less powder in my Glock, both with coated bullets and plated bullets, but my gun just doesn't seem to be as accurate when I go below 3.2 grains of titegroup.

Edited by AdvocatusDiaboli

I'm using Titegroup with Blue Bullets (similar to Bayou & SNS) in a Glock 34. Very, very little smoke (almost nil). My load is 3.2 grains, OAL 1.145", Diameter .378, Speer brass, Rem primer, getting an average of 943 fps with a 147 grain bullet. Velocity spread is 21 fps. I've had no issues whatsoever using coated bullets in a Glock, thus far. NOTE*** I've only put 250 of these through my Glock. I plan to shoot more when they arrive. I've tried using less powder in my Glock, both with coated bullets and plated bullets, but my gun just doesn't seem to be as accurate when I go below 3.2 grains of titegroup.

Thanks for the info.

When I shot Blue Bullets through my G34, 125 round nose, 3.4grains Titegroup was my load that got me at like 1010fps all day. I noticed no smoke outdoors and in the sun. Looking at the video though, there was definitely smoke. Indoors I would have to pause after every couple mags to let the smoke be cleared by the ventilation (shooting quickly, not just plinking).

Some no/low light matches with a handheld light made seeing my sights impossible. That's been my experience with EVERY moly coated bullet I've shot with titegroup, out of any of my pistols.

I have not shot the SNS 147 groove less yet but the 147 coated SNS grooved over 3.4 gr titegroup makes 143 PF out of my XDM 5.25, is clean, accurate, soft and virtually smoke free. I have shot SNS coated, Blue Bullets coated, Bayou Bullets coated, and am currently shooting Ibejiheads coated lead over titegroup and none of them smoke, and all work well. Enjoy the titegroup, it's a great pistol powder.

I use 3.2 gr Titegroup with 135 gr Epoxy Coated Bullets, Win SPP. Start with 3.0 gr working your way up @ 0.2 gr increments to the maximum listed under HOGDON reloading data. My estimate, you should be between 3.0 to 3.4 gr @ a minimum 125 PF.