Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who uses a conversion barrel on their 1911?

JayDee

Recently, in a local match, I won a certificate for a match barrel. Currently I have two government sized 1911s: .40 and 9mm.

I could always just get an extra barrel for one of these 1911s, but wanted to see what other people are doing with alternate calibers.

It looks like I could get a 10mm barrel for the 40 or a 38 super for the 9mm. I don't yet have a "need" for either caliber, but it does sound interesting to be able to swap calibers.

Do any of you have a setup like this? If so, what do you use the 38 super and/or 10mm for?

Thanks

Edited by JayDee

Recently, in a local match, I won a certificate for a match barrel. Currently I have two government sized 1911s: .40 and 9mm.

I could always just get an extra barrel for one of these 1911s, but wanted to see what other people are doing with alternate calibers.

It looks like I could get a 10mm barrel for the 40 or a 38 super for the 9mm. I don't yet have a "need" for either caliber, but it does sound interesting to be able to swap calibers.

Do any of you have a setup like this? If so, what do you use the 38 super and/or 10mm for?

Thanks

The problem with trying to do a caliber conversion on a 1911 by changing only the barrel: the extactor is a critical fit so it probably would not extract right. I ran into that problem on a springfield XD when I bought the .40 version and got the 9mm "conversion" barrel. The XD uses a "fixed" extractor similar to 1911. Extraction is iffy on the XD, I have to change the extractor with the barrel. In designs with a pivoting (spring loaded) extractor, the extra range of movement helps keep the case rim held tight to the edge of the breech face.

@bountyhunter - I understand that the extractor has to jive as well, but if I got a conversion barrel it would be a 10mm for the 40, or a 38 super for the 9mm. I believe that the extractor should work since the cases are nearly the same diameter.

.40 t0 10mm you would need the barrel and a recoil spring, and maybe mags, 10mm wont feed thur .40 mags then if you ever had the itch to kill a Chysler Imperial you would have a handgun to get it done. Ever thought about a .40 to .357 sig?-----------------Larry

Edited by Larry White