Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Barney Mag Question

PPGMD

Here is a question, does the Barney Mag only used to charge the gun during load and make ready have to fit in the box?

I ask because the mag I want to use as my Barney mag has an extended base pad that is USPSA legal, but is too long for IPSC. The mags in my pouches will be IPSC length 10 round mags.

I would put a different base pad on it. Even if it is legal why take the chance that it causes an issue in a match. Most people have stock base pads sitting around. I am sure I have at least 1 I would give away.

I know in Classic and Standard divisions the rule book says all magazines must comply when the gun is being checked against the box, so I would assume that means all magazines used in a course of fire, too.

Edit: Of course, this is remembering that the course of fire begins with load and make ready.

Edited by grapemeister

I would put a different base pad on it. Even if it is legal why take the chance that it causes an issue in a match. Most people have stock base pads sitting around. I am sure I have at least 1 I would give away.

It isn't a huge issue I have a stock 9 round Metalform without the extended base pad that came in my prize bag at a match earlier this year, I just have to be more careful removing and putting it in which is why I prefer the one with an extended base pad.

But it is something I wanted to ask before I showed up at the IPSC match and did it.

But it is something I wanted to ask before I showed up at the IPSC match and did it.

Good idea. My default is if I have to ask if something like this is legal, I just don't do it. It could cause an issue in a match and I don't need the drama. I like match days to be as stress free as possible so I don't do things that can cause stress.

This came up with a buddy at the 2012 US IPSC nationals. He barney'd with a non-box fitting mag. The RO called him on it, and the MD approved it.

After that, he stopped using that mag just to be safe.

Definitely a reasonable judgement from the MD. But I agree better safe that sorry, it would suck shooting a single stack 1911 in open.

Honestly I doubt a RO would be able to spot it as we are only talking about two millimeters in my case. Of course that 2 millimeters is causing the manufacturer to make a design new set of base pads just for IPSC.