Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Auto Comp, more or less powder?

Max It

hi Ya Guys, I loaded some Auto Comp behind 124gn plated bullets; they shot low at 20 yards, I am using max allowed in Hodg book at 5.3gn, is more better or worse?

much obliged,

hi Jack, I don't need to make PF, but I need to knock over 8" steel plates; some attached to a Texas Star. but with your advise and Koop's I am going lower, even to 3.8gn. I will take it to the indoor range and try it on paper.

HI Ya. after 4 years of reloading, casting, and smelting I still don't know why I start low and work up??

am I worried about pressure?

right now I am concerned that 124gn 9mm doesn't easily knock down texas stars like 147gn, I have 2000 to go thru.

either gun: CZ75 or XD9

HI Ya. after 4 years of reloading, casting, and smelting I still don't know why I start low and work up??

am I worried about pressure?

right now I am concerned that 124gn 9mm doesn't easily knock down texas stars like 147gn, I have 2000 to go thru.

either gun: CZ75 or XD9

Different guns (barrels) will affect PF and pressure, as well as your OAL.

That CZ won't let most bullets be loaded long, if loaded correctly ( http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.msg189131#msg189131 ), and the shorter OAL will increase pressures and velocity. I have a barely above min published load that approaches max published load velocities due to an OAL of 1.065" (MG 124gr JHPs, WSF, for CZ and PPQ).

Why would you willingly be starting on the 'potentially dangerous for you and your guns' end of loads?

Do you have a chrono?

Hi Ya, nope no chrono, and the local range is indoor. so only chance to chrono is outdoor at a match, if I ask my buddy to bring his. I will check length and take that into consideration.

the reason for loading full is to knock over steel plates. I tried the loads yesterday, 4.3 to 4.8gn cycle well, with no noticeable drop at 20 yards so I am going with that. Especially now that you pointed out the excessive pressure issue:

hodgdon book gives oal at 1.09" on load data allowing 5.3gn of Auto Comp, since I am loading 1.16" oal I am well within the safe area.

Much obliged,

Edited by Max It

wow, $70. !

I see midwayusa at 115.? and others hovering around that price too.

what I just realized is that with my oal I can now shorten it closer to the Hodgdon book.

instead of Chrony I check the primers for bulge after shooting (old school :mellow:)

much obliged,