For those who reload 9mm

Ken_Bird

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I do is a bit time consuming but it seems to work out for me...

I'll wet tumble everything, then separate out certain head stamps like S&B, WCC, Ammoload, Blazer Aluminium, or anything else that appears infrequently, uniform the primer pockets, then load it for lost brass matches.

Everything else, Win, R-P, CCI, Blazer, gets loaded and shot where I can recover it.

I got about 5K of FC NT head stamp 9mm's at scrap metal prices, rumbled them with walnut and Mothers Mag Wheel polish and ran them through one of my 1050's with a 38 Super die. This swages the crimp out of the primer pocket, deprimes the case and brings the case back to a dimension that makes further sizing with a 9mm die super easy.

I load them on a 650 in small batches of 1k at a time. All of them have the coke bottle form shown in the above photo and all of them shoot more than acceptably.

Edited by Service Desk

I got about 5K of FC NT head stamp 9mm's at scrap metal prices, rumbled them with walnut and Mothers Mag Wheel polish and ran them through one of my 1050's with a 38 Super die. This swages the crimp out of the primer pocket, deprimes the case and brings the case back to a dimension that makes further sizing with a 9mm die super easy.

I load them on a 650 in small batches of 1k at a time. All of them have the coke bottle form shown in the above photo and all of them shoot more than acceptably.

Nice score! I actually run Federal cases as my match ammo. FC cases seem to be the most consistent of the big three factory (Winchester, Remington, Federal) cases these days. The only drawback to FC is that the primer pockets are a bit loose which shortens their life as "match ammo" to five or six reloadings assuming minor power factors. I mix FC NT and regular FC cases in my match ammo as they seem to load the same.

Winchester was my goto brand, but their consistency has suffered over the past couple of years. I blame this inconsistency in WIN cases on the last "ammo drought" but that's just my opinion. Remington is okay, but not my favorite in 9mm. For practice ammo, I load and shoot any headstamp in 9mm but pull the Americ, S&B, A USA, Tulammo and PD stuff after the first reload.

I use NuFinish on my brass with good results. Remember to avoid anything with wax in it to polish up your brass. I've never tried Mothers Mag Wheel Polish, but it sounds like it's good to go as it has the word "Polish" in the name and not the word "Wax".

If you come across any more 9mm FC NT brass at a great price you don't want send them my way :) .

Lapua without a doubt

Never even thought about Lapua brass. I've loaded tens of thousands of range pickup 9mm brass and never even ran across a single piece of it.

Ouch... at $0.27 each plus freight (Midway USA Sale Price) it better be good stuff :)

WIN seems to be a commonly available brass. I reuse my brass and I prefer R-P (1) Speer (2) WIN(3) and whatever I can get hold of. I soak used casings in detergent with alcohol or a mild solvent, rinse, dry and tumble/polish. Put a light chamfer against anything with tight primer pocket and you are good to go until you see some cracked casings, then time to throw them out.

I go on my day off and roll through all the local places that people shoot which aren't official ranges. I have found that they rarely pick up any brass and I get all the 9mm I need for a season in one day usually, or in a weekend for sure. Take it home, tumble, resize, tumble and bag for processing at a later date. Get enough 9mm or whatever caliber I'm looking for this way.