Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making power factor with IMR SR 7625

G19

3.3gr of IMR SR 7625 under a 147gr cast lead bullet loaded at 1.125" OAL gives me 820fps (10 shot average). To make 125 power factor, I'd need 850fps.

In Lee's Modern Reloading, the only listing I see for SR 7625 in 9mm 147gr bullets is for 147gr XTP, with start and "never exceed" charges of 2.8gr and 3.3gr (1.100 OAL).

So I'm already at the max charge listed and not reaching 125 PF. Can I load a little longer, say 1.135, and bump it up to 3.4gr?

I am shooting 3.6 with coated lead and 3.8 with jacketed/plated 147's @ 1.125 and still smudging the cases. I think a lawyer wrote the loading line in that chapter. I shoot these in 4 different guns here with no high pressure signs. I will miss this powder when it's gone.

I am shooting 3.6 with coated lead and 3.8 with jacketed/plated 147's @ 1.125 and still smudging the cases. I think a lawyer wrote the loading line in that chapter. I shoot these in 4 different guns here with no high pressure signs. I will miss this powder when it's gone.

What do you mean by "smudging the cases" (I'm a newb to reloading)?

Thanks, sounds like I should be fine trying 3.4gr.

Dirty cases "smudging" usually means that there is not a enough pressure being generated to seal the chamber off at the front edge of the case mouth. Which then allows burning.burnt powder to smudge the case usually about half way down. It sows that your load is not over powered

Dirty cases "smudging" usually means that there is not a enough pressure being generated to seal the chamber off at the front edge of the case mouth. Which then allows burning.burnt powder to smudge the case usually about half way down. It sows that your load is not over powered

Thanks for the explanation!

3.4 gr of 7625 under a lucky13 cast lead RN averages 887 FPS out of my 5.25 XDM, is a little dirty, but very accurate and super soft. I load mine to 1.145 OAL.

Thanks, sounds like 3.4gr might be the perfect load to get me just over the power factor threshold. I'll give it a shot.

IMR SR7625 is a "very forgiving" powder. It's a little hard to blow up a gun with it,,, but it can be done. Comparatively speaking, you could easily blow up a gun with titegroup. :)

Thanks, that's good to know.