Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 ram catching on ejection chute

I received my new 650 a couple of weeks ago and successfully loaded around 600 rounds of .357 sig without a problem. Last night I started to load a few rounds and the ram jammed on the way down. An inspection showed that the ejection shoot was lodging under the ram on the way down. It looks like the case feed block grabbed the edge of the shoot and pulled it into the path of the ram. I was able to bend it back to allow clearance, but was wondering what may have caused this or what I can do to prevent it in the future. Has anyone had a similar issue or know what may have caused this?

Edited by ejf

Similar situation happened to me just the other day. I had a large bin hanging on the chute with about 400 40's in it. The weight of the bin was torqueing the chute. Press is on a strong mount so the bin was unsupported. Pulled it off and had to give it a little realignment. Looking for some modification so I can use the large bin to hold copious amount of rounds.

Thank you for the input. My press is on a strong mount as well. I am using the bin that came with it, but it was starting to get full. It didn't feel that heavy, but I can see where it could have torqued the chute a little bit and caught on the down stroke, since there isn't that much clearance to begin with.

Edited by ejf

I massaged my ramp back into order a bit, but again the weight of the bucket wants to make it bend more - I ran a ziptie around the frame and that ramp and no more issues.... worked great....

I swear I'm going to abandon that blue bucket hanging on there, extend the ramp to a much larger box that sits on the bench....

Next project...

Similar situation happened to me just the other day. I had a large bin hanging on the chute with about 400 40's in it. The weight of the bin was torqueing the chute. Press is on a strong mount so the bin was unsupported. Pulled it off and had to give it a little realignment. Looking for some modification so I can use the large bin to hold copious amount of rounds.

This might help:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191869&hl=

Sure worked for me!

;)

I cheat on my personal 650. I used a zip tie to secure one side of the chute to the frame, so it can't flex. We have increased the thickness of the material, changed the design of the chute to reduce this, but if full of heavy rounds, it can still happen.

When did you change the thickness and design of the chute to reduce this? I just bought my 650 about 3 weeks ago and it bent in less than 700 rounds. It took me awhile to figure out what was catching and to bend the chute back into shape, I wasn't expecting this kind of problem out of a new press.