Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Minor Load data for Stock III

Anyone have any load data for using 140 or 155 Bayou Bullets in a Stock III? I have titegroup I use presently for 9mm but I'd like to save that so can anyone share any powder options and what OAL's they are using? Thanks in advance

Sent from my flux capacitor

+1 on the titegroup combo. When I got my stock II and started looking for minor load data on the forum, the majority of the data was for 180s. Figured there must be something to it. Started testing coated 180s with titegroup and clays. 3.2 grains of titegroup and 2.8 grains of clays, all loaded to 1.135, make 135pf easily and are the most accurate combos. Also tested minor combos with bullseye, N320, and 231. Titegroup and clays averaged 2.5 inch groups for 15 rounds at 15 yards. The other combos averaged 4 inch groups.

I'm thinking I'm gonna start with 1.135 OAL and 3.7 grains titegroup and see what PF is and adjust accordingly after chrono that load. It should be close to 125-130 I'd guess, may need little more but good starting point I'm thinking

Well I tested some .40 minor loads yesterday. As far as PF the chrono was not reading properly. The one I used was an older model from an older shooter but will chrono with one of the newer CEDs soon. The recoil seemed pretty soft with the 155, 175 SWC, and 180 Bayous. I did notice that I had some feeding issues with the 175 SWC. I researched last night and seems that others have had feeding issues with SWC out of Tanfos. Anyone here had that? I'm thinking just the shape has something to do with it.

Well I tested some .40 minor loads yesterday. As far as PF the chrono was not reading properly. The one I used was an older model from an older shooter but will chrono with one of the newer CEDs soon. The recoil seemed pretty soft with the 155, 175 SWC, and 180 Bayous. I did notice that I had some feeding issues with the 175 SWC. I researched last night and seems that others have had feeding issues with SWC out of Tanfos. Anyone here had that? I'm thinking just the shape has something to do with it.

I have two large frame Tanfos (Match and the full size polymer frame) and load to 1.23" OAL, use 10mm magazines and have never had any feeding issues in several thousand rounds with several different bullets. I don't remember ever seeing a round nose .40 bullet, so most are hollowpoints, truncated cones or semi-wadcutters it seems. Is there much difference between the truncated cones and the semi-wadcutters?

Ran some test loads over the chrono today. First time using Titegroup in .40, as I've been using WST in my 2011 limited gun shooting major for the last two years.

Brand new stock II's in .40, had about 50 rounds of my reloads through them before chrono

3.0gr Titegroup; 180gr Bayou Bullet, Federal once fired brass, Winchester small pistol primer

Averaged 717.33 FPS, low of 706, high of 727

21 fps extreme spread

129 power factor

3.2gr Titegroup; 180gr Bayou Bullet, Federal once fired brass, Winchester small pistol primer

Averaged 781.71 FPS, low of 769, high of 794

25 fps extreme spread

140.7 power factor

This was the first time shooting the Tanfo's, and first time shooting .40 minor. While shooting blankly into the berm without a target for a "see your sight" drill, I had some weird sensations of waiting for days for the slide to return to battery while staring at the front sight. It felt like my split times were super slow, but the timer confirmed they were mostly in the .15-.17 range. Again, no target, just focusing on the sights. I may try a slightly heavier recoil spring to try to speed up the slide over the 9# in them now.

I was pretty awe struck and can tell I'm going to love these guns.

if you're splits are still .15-.17 and you're not losing the front sight then I'd say the slide is moving just fine despite the 'feel'.

I think you'll find the 9 is a good option. the tanfo's seem to love light springs. even an 8 runs nicely in my large frame stock II running 9mm with 135gn pills at 138 PF. The same ammo in my CZ shadow runs best for double taps with a 10 or 11 pound spring.

the stock II is a lovely pistiol. :) they are not perfect by any means, but they are popular for a reason. :)