Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

August tirvia

benos

Who was the only individual in the history of Practical Shooting to win a World or National Championship match after completely disqualifying from one stage. (And it wasn't a small stage either.)

Who was the shooter, what year did it happen, and where did it happen? (All 3 must be correct.)

You got your first hint in the topic description - it was a guy.

May the first answer be correct!

be

Flex,

Incorrect. (you're guessing) (you also have to say where it was) I was going to ask - and who finished second - but that would require some research and I didn't want to subject anyone to that - again!

Erik,

If your gun was ruled to have AD'd because of a mechanical malfunction, you were only dq'd from that one stage. A critical decision, obviously, in this case.

be

Rob Leatham

World Shoot VI

Virginia

(I read the rules. Nothing about responding again after getting it wrong. Nothing about me spamming this thread with a bunch of guesses, either, though that would be unsportsmanlike conduct. ...Well at least not until after Brian says this one is wrong, too. :))

Whadathink guys, three spam guesses and you're out?

No fair changing the course procedure in the middle of a match.

I am going to withhold my third and final guess.... I mean, answer. But anybody who has been paying attention can figure it out.

Whewhoo!, we have a winner and his name is Bill Schwab. Man, not even the 10th of the month! Impressive work.

BTW, did you just know this, or did you do some research?

Send me your mailing address in an email or the message feature and I'll fire it off. And, if you'd like a tub of slide-glide instead, let me know.

Erik,

You'll have to help me out with the Calvinball?

be

Bill, you owe me one! I knew it was Robbie at a WS but I had to guess which.

Brian, Calvin and Hobbes played Calvinball, in which Calvin changed the rules constantly (to his advantage). You gotta get a C&H book. It was a sad day when that comic strip ended.

• 2 weeks later...

So Brian, what was it like at the World Shoot when Robbie was DQed from that stage?  I mean, was it towards the beginning of the match and he figured he had hosed the whole thing or was it a surprise near the end of the match?  He musta freaked out when they DQed him?  What was he DQed for?

I think from now on you should tell a story about the answer to your "Question of the Month" once someone gets the answer.

Bill  

Bill,

Tell a story! Like I don't do enough typin and clickin. OK, I guess it's good typing practice...

If I remember right, it was fairly early on in the match. But the funny thing is, that kind of stuff is exactly what the Great One thrives on. Some may remember he won a world match, or was it a Nationals, after completely blowing his knee out and shooting the rest of the match hobbling around with a brace. Oh, how pathetic he was.

The reason for the DQ was his "gun went off" while moving/reloading between shooting positions. The reason it was ruled a stage DQ only was that, upon inspection, it was found the gun had an improperly fitted disconector, which accounted for the problem.

be