Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left eye dominance rifle/shotgun

Hi guys.

I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I shoot pistol right handed and it is not an issue.(using my left eye)

I got an AR-15 to and will be getting a shotgun to get into 3 guns. (I.m new to long guns)

I'm using a red dot (primary arms) with the rifle and I'm getting used to get the RDS using my right hand /right eye.

but when I get the shotgun how can I do? I was thinking on trying to learn to handle the AR left handed. actually I can see more clearly if I use the AR with my left hand.

so, I am looking for some advice on how should I do or how people with crosseye dominance do.

Things that make me think if I get learn to use left hand is,

1- transitions from AR (with sling) to pistol ?, it is more complicated than using my right hand?

2- reloads, where to place the mag pouchs, right side of my hip

thanks

I am left eye right handed. I used to shoot shotgun with the left eye closed until I found out about anti dominance sights. The front bead is in a tube and can only be seen by the right eye. You may see two guns but only one dot. With a little practice you only see the dot and the target.

Two years on and when I broke my gun in a comp I used a friends with the standard front bead. I never even noticed it. The brain screens out information it does not regard as important. Below is a link to the sight I use on UK eBay. I'm sure you can find the same thing Stateside.

It took me a while to get used to it and at comps I was still closing my left eye for the first two months. Now I shoot two eyes open on everything. Its very quick and far more effective. You do have to practice at it to start until it becomes subconscious. Several of my friends use them but I also know a few others who gave up after 5 minutes!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tru-Glo-Wing-Stopper-Universal-Anti-Dominant-Eye-Shotgun-Sight-Red-/251537205101?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3a90c9276d

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot the pistol with the right and long guns off the left side.

With coupled mags the reloads are the same speed, grab the mags and hit the button. On the shotgun the reloads are faster since I'm doing them with the strong hand.

I feel that (since I've never put a lot of time into shooting off the right) that driving the long gun with the strong hand from the front is fast, efficient and easier then the weak hand. Trigger manipulation is a relatively simple manipulation and easy with the weak side with a little practice.

I started with a BB gun at 10 shooting off the left. That's a lot of years and 20k reps before I even heard of 3 Gun and the differences in manipulation so it would have been harder to retrain for the strong side.

Due to an astigmatism in my left eye I am stuck shooting with the right closed. After talking with several ophthalmologists it is what it is unless I do Lasik which is a possibility.

I am left eye right handed. I used to shoot shotgun with the left eye closed until I found out about anti dominance sights. The front bead is in a tube and can only be seen by the right eye. You may see two guns but only one dot. With a little practice you only see the dot and the target.

Two years on and when I broke my gun in a comp I used a friends with the standard front bead. I never even noticed it. The brain screens out information it does not regard as important. Below is a link to the sight I use on UK eBay. I'm sure you can find the same thing Stateside.

It took me a while to get used to it and at comps I was still closing my left eye for the first two months. Now I shoot two eyes open on everything. Its very quick and far more effective. You do have to practice at it to start until it becomes subconscious. Several of my friends use them but I also know a few others who gave up after 5 minutes!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tru-Glo-Wing-Stopper-Universal-Anti-Dominant-Eye-Shotgun-Sight-Red-/251537205101?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3a90c9276d

Stuart, I want to try your setup at Rocky Mountain. I too am left eye dominant, right handed.

I am right eye dominant, and left handed. I shoot right handed. It takes some work, but there are a few things that can be beneficial.

Try shooting the long guns from your left side and see how it works out for you. Some of it depends on "how" dominant the "eye"
or side is, or the weak side is really more just useless.

I feel ya man! When I was growing up my dad would ask me what the hell I was doing when we would go pheasant hunting and I would shoulder the shotgun on my left side when he knew I was right handed. I told him "thats what feels natural" So thats how I shoot, Pistol right handed and long guns left. Try both and pick one that works and feels the best. Just dont go back and fourth trying left handed on match then right the next and so on. Just pick one (the more natural one) and practice practice practice. It almost beneficial to me on my belt because everything is spread out even. My shotshells on the 10-12 position, pistol mags 9-7 position, pistol @3 and AR magazine at 4 or 5 o'clock. My long gun is a browning A5 which I love for so many reasons but its nice because you can flip the safety on it for us southpaws. My AR is a Stag upper and lower that is left handed. I put a Troy ambi mag release and a BADD lever on it which helps with reloads. If I had to do it again I would just get a regular AR (right handed) because they make more LMOS for them. They actually dont make a light weight BCG to my knowledge so I had to mill my own. Hope this helps!