Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Monopod - Max Length?

I know us open shooters are permitted to use a bipod on our rifles and I've seen several shooters use their magazines as monopods, but are there length restrictions? So far I've found none.

If there is no restrictions to length, does that mean I can legally use a shooter's stick (length approx 48") during the match? And would it need to be attached to the firearm for the stage or can it be discarded when no longer needed?

Not as steady or accurate as going prone, but for these old bones, it would be a lot faster.

Thanks.

Bill

post-7462-0-20650500-1400962189_thumb.jp

post-7462-0-15892800-1400962271_thumb.jp

Interesting question!

I do not recall any mention or discussion of a length restriction for bipods or monopods in current rulesets, including USPSA MG. I do recall a RM3G stage (perhaps 3 years ago) where competitors were provided a "monopod" similar to your description and were allowed (per the written stage briefing) to use it and then discard it as desired, during the course of fire.

The current SMM3G ruleset, rule 4.5.5, states that "All equipment must start the stage secured on the participant's person or firearms..." I could not find a similar statement in the current USPSA MG rules.

RM3G does effectively restrict the "footprint" of a monopod with a rule that specifies an offset of "coupled" magazines for divisions other than Open... but there is no apparent limit on length. That's my opinion/interpretation... pending clarification from JJ or Denise.

Interesting question!

I do not recall any mention or discussion of a length restriction for bipods or monopods in current rulesets, including USPSA MG. I do recall a RM3G stage (perhaps 3 years ago) where competitors were provided a "monopod" similar to your description and were allowed (per the written stage briefing) to use it and then discard it as desired, during the course of fire.

The current SMM3G ruleset, rule 4.5.5, states that "All equipment must start the stage secured on the participant's person or firearms..." I could not find a similar statement in the current USPSA MG rules.

RM3G does effectively restrict the "footprint" of a monopod with a rule that specifies an offset of "coupled" magazines for divisions other than Open... but there is no apparent limit on length. That's my opinion/interpretation... pending clarification from JJ or Denise.

Good on ya'!

RM3G - unless specifically allowed, the only thing you can leave behind is your magazines. You aren't allowed to drop bipods or what have you.

In Open division, you can have as tall or as short of a monopod, stick etc, but you must keep it with you for the stage. There is no rule on length/height of bipods.

In Open, there is no restriction on mag length either! You can use those little beta mags in your pistol if you want or a 48 round pistol mag that you can rest on the ground! :goof: Open is Open...well, no laser projectiles, plasma guns or full auto in personal guns. Pick-up guns, who knows??? :devil:

:wub: Denise

Do the rules require it be "attached" to the gun like a bipod? Or would it be legal to carry it through the stage?

To be honest, I can only think of two stages in the past year where a shooting stick would have been beneficial but if its allowed, it should be considered.

If nothing else, I can use it as a walking stick as I cruise through the stage.

Thanks.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Good to go by USPSA rules:

2.1.2.2 Chokes, slings, bi-pods, monopods, ammo/mag holders, and flashlights may be added, removed or changed at any time during the match, providing that they are allowed in the competitors

division.

And good to go under FNH 3 Gun rules:

4.4 Participants generally may not reconfigure any firearm during the course of the event. Explicitly prohibited acts include changing caliber, barrel length, shotgun magazine tube length, sighting systems and/or stock style. Explicitly permitted acts include installing or removing support devices (e.g. bipods), slings and other minor accessories (e.g. scope covers).

5.2.3.1 Supporting devices (e.g. bipods) are permitted, and may begin any stage folded or deployed at the participants discretion.

4.4 Participants generally may not reconfigure any firearm during the course of the event. Explicitly prohibited acts include changing caliber, barrel length, shotgun magazine tube length, sighting systems and/or stock style. Explicitly permitted acts include installing or removing support devices (e.g. bipods), slings and other minor accessories (e.g. scope covers).

5.2.3.1 Supporting devices (e.g. bipods) are permitted, and may begin any stage folded or deployed at the participants discretion.

This rule is for open class only.

All other classes per rule 5.3.4.3 say you cannot use a supporting device, bi-pod monopod etc.

This rule is for open class only.

All other classes per rule 5.3.4.3 say you cannot use a supporting device, bi-pod monopod etc.

Right. OP mentioned shooting open.