Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powders for 40?

bigarm

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I researched this pretty heavily when I got my 40. I kept on reading that VihtaVuori N320 seemed to be what a majority of people were using.

Now keep in mind; this was during the "big shortage" and I was moving from .38sc to .40 and was sitting on about 15 pounds of VV N350. Man was I hoping to run across a 350 load, but everyone shooting 40 didn't like it. I ended up finally getting some N320 and haven't looked back.

What is your load recipe?

Just attended the Area 1 USPSA, and in the heat noted two .40 shooters and 1 .38 Super shooter go minor. Another 9MM went sub minor. I will say, I like WST for both my .45 and.40 rounds, but in the heat they really slow down. WST and the Blue bullets using 165 grain is great to use, low recoil, but I would not trust them at a chrono match if it is getting hot.

For matches in the heat I really like WSF. I bought some last year during the big powder crunch (oddly still in effect) and have learned it is very stable in hot or cold temps. Sometimes the basic powders are really the best.

I CAN'T believe more people aren't using Expansion Industries ETR7. This powder is AWSOME and the cleanest burning I've seen. Shot a major match this past weekend and my gun looks like I shot maybe 25 rds through it. Until it's not available anymore won't be using anything else!!