Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm 5.25 .40S&W factory recoil spring weight?

kcobean

I'm probably overdue to replace the recoil spring in my gun. It runs like a top and I don't want to play with the spring weight, I just want to replace like for like. Is it an 18# spring? Having trouble finding a reference on the internet for this.

I only own a 5.25 in 9mm, so I haven't tested this personally, but I've been told by several knowledgeable people that both the 9mm and .40 guns ship with the same 18# recoil spring. In my experience, the Wolff replacement springs have a slightly different spring rate than the factory, but I'm sure an 18# would work just fine for .40

Im sure 18lb is the correct factory spring weight. If you want to experiment with others, Wolff has spring kit that ships with either extra power or reduced power springs. The reduced power kit comes with 14, 16, and factory 18lb springs, the extra power ships with 18lb, 20, and 22lb springs. I personally run a 14lb spring in my 5.25 9mm and like it the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone needed the reduced power striker spring? I started getting failure to fires due to not setting the striker back far enough when I went to a 14lb recoil spring I'm my 9mm 5.25.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm waiting for a reduced power striker spring for my 9mm 5.25.I had a number of ftf's due to light/no strikes with the 14lb recoil spring

Recoil spring has nothing to do with strike force. It's more likely the striker channel is dirty. Only real way to clean is by taking the striker out and brushing it. The pin is driven up from the bottom, the hole is tapered. Don't try to go from the top!

I dont think its dirty,way less than 1k rounds through it.From what I was told the recoil spring and the striker spring work against each other so if you lower the rate on the recoil tension the striker spring may be too strong to fully set back.I noticed a few light strikes and a few no dimple primers but did hear/feel a click.Havent recieved the striker spring yet to test unfortunately.

I dont think its dirty,way less than 1k rounds through it.From what I was told the recoil spring and the striker spring work against each other so if you lower the rate on the recoil tension the striker spring may be too strong to fully set back.I noticed a few light strikes and a few no dimple primers but did hear/feel a click.Havent recieved the striker spring yet to test unfortunately.

If the sear is holding the striker, it's ALL the way back.

A lighter striker spring will reduce the striking force, not increase it. A lighter striker allows it to go faster. A lighter striker spring will slightly reduce trigger weight as the striker moves back a small amount before releasing. I just kept the factory spring for more reliable ignition.

The xd family seems to collect more powder residue in the striker channel and ANY OIL turns it to goo. The goo slows the striker and causes light strikes. Pull it, clean it and it wouldn't hurt to polish the channel and striker.

If you have a trigger kit in it, the timing of the safety bar could be off slightly too. Check to see if the striker has been hitting the safety plunger.