Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson SNL Base Pads, Grams Followers with 170 Tubes for 9mm. Need ad

idHawk

So, I started having problems with my 170 tubes in 9mm. I was running Dawson SNL pads with the Shooters Connection Spacer and Grams springs/follower. Talked to Dawson and they specifically told me not to use their SNL pads in a 9mm configuration. Mags were turning into salt shakers with relative ease and was having feeding issues as well. Dawson told me the feeding issues were caused by the spacer dropping into the pad and causing the top round to sit back too far in the mag. They said the SNLs can only be used if I can find a way to secure the spacer to the tube, holding in in place and in the full up position. He said he has heard of people using epoxy or sealants, but this seems sketchy to me.

What mag configurations are you guys using for the 170 big sticks in 9mm? Looking for suggestions. Dawson recommended the 9mm specific base pads, but they only come in a kit with STI follower and a 140 plastic spacer.

I've used the TTI 3G basepads with the grams guts and Arredondo spacers for 170 tubes and the 4g basepads for the 140 tubes without any issues. You have to trim fit the spaces, but I have not had any feeding issues once you have them fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I started having problems with my 170 tubes in 9mm. I was running Dawson SNL pads with the Shooters Connection Spacer and Grams springs/follower. Talked to Dawson and they specifically told me not to use their SNL pads in a 9mm configuration. Mags were turning into salt shakers with relative ease and was having feeding issues as well. Dawson told me the feeding issues were caused by the spacer dropping into the pad and causing the top round to sit back too far in the mag. They said the SNLs can only be used if I can find a way to secure the spacer to the tube, holding in in place and in the full up position. He said he has heard of people using epoxy or sealants, but this seems sketchy to me.

What mag configurations are you guys using for the 170 big sticks in 9mm? Looking for suggestions. Dawson recommended the 9mm specific base pads, but they only come in a kit with STI follower and a 140 plastic spacer.

I use clear RTV to bond the metal spacer in the tube (make sure the mating surface is clean). Then I stuff twisted magazine paper inside the tube for 24 hours so the metal spacer makes a strong bond to the tube. It's been working fine for me with the same guts you got and the SNL pad.

3m 2-sided tape. The industrial kind. We use it to bond plastic parts to an aluminum subplate on our CNC mill so we can machine the plastic! Hafta spray it down with denatured alcohol and let it soak to remove the part when we are done. That stuff has some grab!

3m 2-sided tape. The industrial kind. We use it to bond plastic parts to an aluminum subplate on our CNC mill so we can machine the plastic! Hafta spray it down with denatured alcohol and let it soak to remove the part when we are done. That stuff has some grab!

How thick is this tape? I would be concerned about it being too thick, causing a tolerance issue.

Put a mag together last night using the Permatex Clear RTV. Wasn't sure how much to use, so I went with a fairly light coat. Most likely could have used more, but we'll see how this works out.

If you get the Joey Hardy spacers, they come with some extra material that allows them to be fit to the length of the basepad.

You can also use something to fix the spacer in the tube as well, as stated earlier.

I'm using a 170mm STI tube with the stock STI plastic spacer, (held in place with double-sided tape), Grams internals and a Dawson SNL basepad, and it works just fine for me. I get 29 rounds, and I've never had issues with it, and it still fits the USPSA mag gauge.

If you get the Joey Hardy spacers, they come with some extra material that allows them to be fit to the length of the basepad.

You can also use something to fix the spacer in the tube as well, as stated earlier.

I'm using a 170mm STI tube with the stock STI plastic spacer, (held in place with double-sided tape), Grams internals and a Dawson SNL basepad, and it works just fine for me. I get 29 rounds, and I've never had issues with it, and it still fits the USPSA mag gauge.

You can only trim the Joey Hardy spacers to fit the 140 tubes. The ones 170 spacers fit exactly to the bottom of the tube, so you can't fit them to the spacer.

I am using Gram's internals, Hardy spacers and SNL base pads and have not experienced any problems. I get 29 + 1 with my 170 mm tubes. I do not glue the spacers in although I may start doing it to avoid any possible problems. Where is the 3M two sided tape available?