Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H335/cci450

ffgats

Anybody tried this load - AR 5.56

24.5 h335

55gr oal 2.20

Cci 450(magnum

My previous was using the Cci 400, switch to WSR since the 400 is always out of stock ,Now Im having some some flattened and pierced primer on the WSR. Any feedback would be helpful , thanks

I believe that is a safe load - perhaps the issue is that the WSR's may be a soft primer compared to the CCI's. I believe that the 24.5 gr of H335 under a 55 gr is a safe load, as would just about any reloader here on BE. Have you tried reducing the load to see if the primer piercing goes away?

Also, you may consider replacing your firing pin. Once you pierce a few, the firing pin is damaged by high pressure gas and the piercing issue will worsen. If not replaced in a timely manner, gas-cutting of the bolt can begin to occur.

the 450 primers are recommended for use in the AR platform over the 400s typically due to their thicker cup

They are also recommended when using H335 in a lot of loading data.

That is the load I am going to use. The 450's have a .025 thick cup while the 400's are .020. I can't bring myself to buy the #41's even though the anvil is spaced a tad further away then the 450's. The thicker cup is good enough for me.

Sent painfully from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Just ran a ten shot string

62*F

.222/5.56MM 55gr FMJBT W/C Hornady

H335 24.1gr

Trim 1.750 +/-.002

OAL 2.219 (mid cannalure)

Light crimp

CCI 450 SRM

2677AVG FPS AR15 16 inch 1/9 twist barrel

Sent painfully from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Prebaned

I actually emailed CCI about this:

Me: "For reloading .223 rounds intended for use in an AR-15, is it preferable to use CCI small rifle (400) or CCI magnum (450) primers?"

Them: "it will depend on the powder used. You will want to use the right primer for the right powder. "

Me: "Plan is for using H335 powder, or other ball that would meter consistently for progressive loading?"

Them: "you will want to follow the load data for the bullet used. When using Speer Bullets in the 55Gr weight, the H335 does require a magnum primer and you could use the #41."

Other than omitting my name in the original emails, the entire series above is verbatim when it was exchanged in late April 2014.