Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Malfunction at the Worst Time

Poseidon215

Ok, so I just recently joined IDPA, I have been a recreational shooter for about 4 years now and a friend got me into IDPA and soon USPSA. This weekend I shot my first major and on the 6th stage I had my first malfunction ever. I was shooting my XDm 5.25 9mm with reloads 147gr over 3.0gr of Titegroup. I drew hit the first target once in zero zone and when I pulled the trigger for the second shot I got a click. I tried to rack it hard it wouldnt budge. I dropped the slide and then proceeded to spend the next 60 seconds fumbling around trying everything I could to get the slide to come back and pull out the round. I finally get it to free up and eject the round. I slammed the magazine in racked a fresh round and continued to finish the stage shooting all zeros for the 2 rounds on all 6 targets. Ended up taking a score of 70 seconds when it should have been around 10. After everything was over and holstered I searched for the round that was stuck. I looked it over and had a few other experienced guys check it out. None of us could find anything wrong that would have caused the jam. I tried it again once I got home and it chambered just fine, the OAL is spot on there are no bulges or anything that I can see that would cause a hang up. Just looking for possible answers or ideas what it could have been.

My guess would be it was too long and jammed in the rifling or it had a bulge at the base that got taken out when it slammed home.

Don't you gauge all your match ammo? I bet you will from now on. :)

I hand picked all of my match ammo and dropped them all individually in the barrel. If there was any doubt I set it aside as practice ammo, thats why I am really stumped as to what the heck happened. I full length size everything and seat them to 1.155 never had a single problem with about 2k rounds down range recently.

I spent 60 seconds trying to get the slide back and pull out the round.

After everything was over I searched for the round that was stuck.

I tried it again and it chambered fine, the OAL is spot on there are no bulges or anything that I can see that would cause a hang up.

Was the slide all the way forward when it was jammed?

Sounds to me like you may have picked up the wrong round from the ground.

You should have had two rounds on the ground - the one that malfunctioned and your last round in the chamber when you "showed clear".

BUT, I can't think of ANY reason why a round that passed the plunk test would stick in the chamber, though....

Surely you've heard of Murphy's Law - first malfunctions occur only "at the worst possible time".

BTW, My Law states that "Murphy is an optimist". :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

And that is exactly why I load mine @ 1.145, had the same thing happen to me during a practice session with my XDm before the barrel was throated. At 1.155 you are right against the rifling in the stock chamber. It probably reseated the round and why you couldn't find anything wrong.

The barrel test doesn't do anything to check the base of the case and that is the part that usually fails when you check them using a casegauge.

The "mystery malfunctions" will go away when you start using a case gauge or you can slide each round into the breech face of your pistol and rotate them 360 degrees to make sure they will enter without any bind.

The round I picked up was the one the jammed. The other I caught when I had to unload and show clear so I kept them separate.

Ok let me rephrase the above. When reloading I use a case gauge to check that they drop in and out easily without any hang ups. Then when choosing my match ammo I check all the primers and barrel drop each one to make sure they drop in and out without any resistance.

I have no problem dropping them in and spinning them in the chamber. They are not hitting the rifling or binding at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk