Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need help again with my shotgun

bigarm

So my Versa Max came in and I also got a Roulette +1 mag extension and then someone let me know of a +2 extension from The Shooters Source

http://www.theshooterssource.com/blue-extended-capacity-nordic-factory-versa-tubes-p-26188.html

so I ordered one of them and 2 new springs. With help from people here I got off the standard cap, followed the instructions for the new one and cut the spring to approximately 24" from the end of the tube without the cap (instructions said cut to 21-24") put it back together and tested it out. 10 rounds went in, but when shooting around round 7 or 8 we had failure to feed. So I took the spring back out and cut it a little more. The tenth round went in a little easier, although it wasn't very difficult before, but am still having the failures to feed. Everything goes well until about the 7th - 9th round, then the trouble begins. Any ideas? I could use the help. I will say the shotgun is very soft recoiling. Also, used 2 different shells, Federal DTarget Load 2 3/4 dr eq 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot, 1145 fps and Estate Super Sport Competition Target Load 3 dr eq 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot, 1200 fps; both 2 3/4" shells.

Try a few tubes with no clamp. That could be contributing to your problem.

24" of spring is WAY too short for a 10 round tube. 24" free beyond, is WAY too much. You need a minimum of 12" (I suggest 14") and then shoot a few tubes and let it sit fully loaded overnight. Then, clip to about 10" to 12" longer than the total tube length with extensions.

If you really have 24" of extra spring, it won't feed well.

Ok, so now I am confused on the length of the spring. Should I try the original spring in the tube with the extension? I can do that or I can cut the spring down further or use the extra spring and cut it down. I will try without the clamp, but it seems to be pretty unstable with out it. Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. I really would like this gun to have a magazine capacity of 10 rounds and it seems others have done so.

He means the spring should be cut to length after the mag extension is installed, to include the extended cap.

Ok, so now I am confused on the length of the spring. Should I try the original spring in the tube with the extension? I can do that or I can cut the spring down further or use the extra spring and cut it down. I will try without the clamp, but it seems to be pretty unstable with out it. Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. I really would like this gun to have a magazine capacity of 10 rounds and it seems others have done so.

To size the spring. Assemble your magazine tube without the spring. Lay the spring next to it, receiver to end. Add at least 12" and clip there. Load up the tube and let it sit overnight then shoot a box or so through the gun. Then disassemble, remeasure and clip to between 10" and 12". I am currently running 8" of spring past assembled length and it is working fine with a 10 round Versatube.

I am with Mark- I run a free length 8" beyond the end of the mag tube extension with no troubles. That said, most extension companies recommend about 12" longer than the total length of the magazine. The Versas are a little finicky, so trim a little at a time instead of just playing hero and buying a new spring.

I replaced the aftermarket spring with the factory spring and what do you know? It works! I was able to load on in the chamber and 10 in the mag. I used the Federals for one test. Then the Estate, but didn't have enough Estate, so used 5 Remington STS to fill up the mag and both tests fed and fired fine. Thanks for the help. Now I guess I need to order one or two more factory springs so I have a spare or two.