Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safe pistol grounding

Has anyone seen the top of a barrel used as a grounding station without any bucket, carpet or other items to help ensure the pistol is secure?

It happened today at the Epic 3 gun match today and at least two shooters, including me, were DQ'd when the gun rotated on the convex surface of the barrel and broke the 180. I objected as our squad had pointed out that there was no dump bucket for the pistol during the stage description. The MD even told me that if the gun had rotated to other direction (down range) and I had run in front of the muzzle I would not have been DQ'd since it wouldn't have broken the 180.

I don't mind being DQ'd for a legit 180 break but a DQ for what seems like a flawed and unsafe grounding area seemed out of line. To a person my entire squad agreed that the stage setup was at fault.

I have never seen the top of a barrel used as a grounding station, is this common?

Sounds bogus to me. First off they need proper grounding equipment. Was you pistol empty? We use correct dumping equipment; buckets or built frames. If you are going forward of the dump location, the pistol, rifle, shotgun must be unloaded-mag out & no rounds in the gun.

I like the philosophy of RM3G--they use 'Big Boy Rules!'

Seems to me a grounding location that allows the pistol to rotate is wrong. The DQ was bogus if you pistol was unloaded, otherwise, moving forward of a loaded weapon is just plain stupid stage planning, the MD should be ashamed.

I think this happened at a USPSA Multi-gun match where the pistol broke the 180 because the dump box allowed the pistol to be placed at the 180. Of course this was a few years ago when USPSA 3Gun matches were run like pistol matches. Hence the popularity of "outlaw" matches which were becoming more popular.

Back in the day we would just have tables and the top of a barrel.

You grounded the pistol and it was stationary and pointed in the right direction when you left it. Then the pistol rotated by itself?

Or were you going fast and you dumped it and it rotated in the wrong direction because you inadvertently pushed it when you left?

I am sure the gun probably did rotate, partly because of the shape of grounding station, (and of course, my blinding speed :surprise:) .

The bigger issue was the MD telling me that the gun facing downrange (where we would be completing the shotgun phase) would not have received the DQ and was preferable to the gun facing the side berm at an angle.

It had happened earlier in the day resulting in another DQ, so they knew it was an issue.

The use of an appropriate grounding area like a bucket to contain the pistol would have resolved the issue would have prevented the unnecessary DQ's and been far safer than having shooters step in front of the muzzle of a loaded pistol laying on top of a barrel to complete the stage.

It was an unfortunately poor setup to an otherwise very well run match.

I will agree the stage was poorly constructed. I might choose not to return to this match, but it does not absolve you.

You had the opportunity to place the gun safely in the designated area. Failing to do this earns a DQ.

I will agree the stage was poorly constructed. I might choose not to return to this match, but it does not absolve you.

You had the opportunity to place the gun safely in the designated area. Failing to do this earns a DQ.

Obviously I wasn't there but if the shooter put the pistol down in a safe direction, left, and it fell off the curved surface of the 55 gallon drum and rotated as a result of that, that is shenanigans. I can't believe there are places that run 3 gun matches, they charge entry fee, they go through the trouble of building stages and recruiting staff members, and no one has the foresight to have a proper place to ground firearms. Failing to do this earns a DQ? I suspect you are heavily involved in a certain action pistol format that enjoys that verbiage.

Obviously if someone throws their crap down and it doesn't go into the box/barrel/whatever and rotates, that's their fault for trying to save an umpteenth of a second and the DQ is justified. If the MD's story is true, it confirms the amazing aspect of the situation.