Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Firing Long Guns?

I see lots and lots of threads on pistol dry firing and it's effect on different kinds of guns. I use an o-ring on the firing pin for my CZ. I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle, heavily modified for 3 gun, and a couple AR's. Can just dry fire them to my heart's contented or should I do something to keep from, some how, damaging the hammer, firing pin...?

I have dry fired my Benelli Nova more times than I have ran live rounds through it, I have yet to have problems with it. I have dry fired my Benelli M1 without issues also. Same for various ARs.

Hurley

I dry fired my 308 quite a lot when I was learning irons. I did eventually have to replace the firing pin, but that was cheap. My first year in IPSC, I dry fired my single stack so much I wore out that original firing pin also.

If wearing out the firing pin bothers you, then a solution (other than a spare fp) is: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/872223/tma-ar-15-dry-fire-device-delrin-orange

Prevents hammer contact with fp and reduces the amount of retraction required to recock hammer. Pretty neat, just drop into bolt carrier, done.

Just don't forget to take it out before firing or it goes click instead of bang. Don't ask how I know...