Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trading powder?

JSkala

Can you legally ship powder from person to person without paying a hazmat fee? I have some N320 that I would consider trading for a good 9 major powder but I'm not sure of the process involved. Thanks Jeff

Thanks for the help... I will ask around. I've only watched a couple USPSA shoots I have never actually done it however I'm getting geared up to partake. I have recently acquired and Accushadow and Czechmate to fill the CZ addiction. This all started with some rimfire steel challenge matches. I will ask around locally. I bought the powder locally and have 12 and maybe 16 lbs of N320. I've been using it but want to play with the Czechmate that is still unfired.

Kneeling, can you help me out with shooting minor through the Czechmate? Will a soft minor load be as flat as a major load that is running the comp correctly? I plan on shooting steel challenge with the mate first to get used to it. Would I be better of with a soft minor or just shoot major for steel? Thanks you seem to be on top of this stuff.

No reason to shoot MAJOR for steel, but you do benefit from a larger powder charge

of a slower powder, to increase the volume of gas, which makes the comp work

better.

Just a benefit, not a necessity.

To "get started", I'd use whatever powder you have (N320) and load up some

loads that are around PF 140 and try them out - you might like them.

But, when you get some slower powder - try that out and see which you prefer.

p.s. I believe there are hundreds of shooters who would drive a long way to

pick up, FTF, 12 -16 lbs of N320:) :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

3n38 would be good too.

Wow, an Accu-Shadow and a Czechmate!?! A man after my heart!

Until you get some slow powder the comp will just frustrate you so I suggest you install the barrel nut with the front sight (with the dot of course :) ) for now and use the N320; a small charge under a 115gr bullet, with an 8-10# recoil spring, just enough to close the slide.

This setup will be quick, soft and fun for steel then once you get some slow powder you can start working up some major loads to work the comp. I can't wait to hear how it works out for you!

ETA: I just re read your post, so you do have a pound of 3n37? You could try that with the comp, what bullets do you have available?

Edited by kneelingatlas

I currently have some bayou 124 RN and Rainer 115's cmj's I think, had them setting around a while. Yes I have one pound of 3M37 I bought to try MAJOR. I never thought about shooting the non comp barrel with the red dot. So with the comp installed it would be tough to shoot minor reliably? Thanks for all your help, I'm new to this Major/Comp deal.

Yes, I've heard complaints from CM owners that I won't cycle light loads, the comp adds weight to the barrel and keeps it locked up longer so you need a lot of energy to cycle the slide.

The VV reloading guide shows a max load of 6.5gr with a 115 and an OAL of 1.142" making ~144pf so that's a good place to start. Chrono and work up from there.

Although I would still try no comp/dot/n320/115 as well for steel, I think you'll love it.

I know this will be good trading stock. I'm only willing to trade a 4lb jug of it for either Autocomp, Silhouette or HS-6 maybe 3N37 I did score a pound of it lately.

not sure where you're from but I would trade four pounds of autocomp 4 your 320