Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA#7 9mm LOADS

kaech

Please be more specific, for major or minor loads.

If for minor I believe AA#7 is way to slow of a powder and will leave A LOT of unburnt powder behind.

For major you are looking at a min of 10 grains with a 124gr bullet, probably overflowing the case and really compressing the powder when all said and done. In the end probably not a good choice for 9major.

AA#7 is actually a great powder for 9-Major in my full size STI open gun with 2 popple holes. 10gr under a MG 124 CMJ gave me a 180PF and was the flattest 124 load I have ever shot. My usual load is 10.5gr under a MG 115 JHP at 1.165: with a Fed SR primer for a 175PF. It's not bad to load....my Hornady LNL doesn't spill a grain when the shell plate advances.

AA#7 is actually a great powder for 9-Major in my full size STI open gun with 2 popple holes. 10gr under a MG 124 CMJ gave me a 180PF and was the flattest 124 load I have ever shot. My usual load is 10.5gr under a MG 115 JHP at 1.165: with a Fed SR primer for a 175PF. It's not bad to load....my Hornady LNL doesn't spill a grain when the shell plate advances.

to the OP, hope this helps. :cheers:

Thanks for the replies, I bought this powder on a whim that it could be a good warm target/training/plinking load since there's lots of data for 9mm.

anyone use this for minor?...maybe I'll have to use it for trade bait since I find it super hard it get the kind of powder I really want

147 lead (s&s) 5.3 #7 @ 1.55 Minor load that I use for Bulls Eye competition. I don't find this to be very dirty but I use bulls eye powder for my 45..You could use a magnum primer if you wish it will make it cleaner.

I have used AA7 mostly for 147's in 9X23, but I have one load for 9X19 using Montana Gold 124s. It's still a "minor" load, but fairly brisk. MG JHP 124grn, 7.8grns AA7, Tula SPP, OAL 1.072... this averaged 1222fps for 20 shots giving a power factor of 151 or so and had an SD of 8.9. It was also pretty accurate, or about 2" or so at 15yrds (or about as good as I can still see the target with the fat sights on that gun!). This was out of a 4.75" Longslide Witness. I plan to do more testing with AA7 as well as 3n38 in 9X19 in the coming weeks. Like most of the slower medium burners, AA7 will like to be loaded more like 3/4 of the way up its load range on up to its maximum with any bullet weight to give best results.

Edited by Justsomeguy

Well I made 10 rounds to take with me to the range today just to try out. G19 with 7.7grs under MG 124gr FMJ@ 1.30 was more accurate than the WAC loads I'm running. I did notice a bit of unburned powder though, so I do think im gonna get a load made up and use the AA#7 while I'm not able to find any other powder

I have used AA7 mostly for 147's in 9X23, but I have one load for 9X19 using Montana Gold 124s. It's still a "minor" load, but fairly brisk. MG JHP 124grn, 7.8grns AA7, Tula SPP, OAL 1.072... this averaged 1222fps for 20 shots giving a power factor of 151 or so and had an SD of 8.9. It was also pretty accurate, or about 2" or so at 15yrds (or about as good as I can still see the target with the fat sights on that gun!). This was out of a 4.75" Longslide Witness. I plan to do more testing with AA7 as well as 3n38 in 9X19 in the coming weeks. Like most of the slower medium burners, AA7 will like to be loaded more like 3/4 of the way up its load range on up to its maximum with any bullet weight to give best results.

my results in 9x19 sound a lot like yours

I'm thinking that your longer OAL than I used with a .1grn more powder in my loads may have resulted in the unburned powder as I don't remember, nor did I note any of that. Still... I don't think you will find AA7 to be unsuitable for 9mm as long as you keep the pressure/velocity up where AA7 likes to be. It's a pretty good powder when you're going more for the "maximum effort" kind of thing.