Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crack (Now chip) in XDm 5.25 9mm slide

Bunchies95

At my practice last night, I was getting some very slow slide movement at times (almost as if there was only 1/4 powder charge). Turns out that my slide was in the process of chipping and I'm assuming the chips are what slowed the slide movement down. The location of the chip is the weird part...it is in the notch for the slide stop. I wouldn't think that this area would experience a significant amount of stress so it must have something to do with the acceleration during the opening and closing periods.

Looked at my backup gun, and it has a hairline crack developing in the same area.

My match gun has ~25k though it and my backup gun has ~50k through it.

I think the backup gun can be fixed but am not sure about the match gun. I already sent an email to Rich at Canyon Creek (who I bought it from) but I know he is busy so I figure I would ask here as well.

post-34623-0-13526500-1398373096_thumb.j

post-34623-0-27622200-1398372966_thumb.j

post-34623-0-11827000-1398372953_thumb.j

I had one crack and chip at the exact same spot. Springfield Armory replaced my slide, no questions asked. The gun at the time probably had 25,000 or 30,000 rounds through it.. Call SA, they'll send you a free shipping label.

P.S. Send the other one too, it will eventually break. They'll probably want you to send them in separate boxes, but ask them, just to make sure. Or you could continue shooting one while the other is being repaired, but I wouldn't take any chances, and I would stop shooting the one that has the crack.

Edited by grapemeister

• 3 weeks later...

So Springfield has amazing customer service! Called them up and they sent me a shipping label for my match gun. About two and a half weeks later (6 business days in shipping alone) and I have my gun back. New slide, new extractor. They put all my custom parts back on the gun. Sights were off a bit, but not by much. 15 rounds at 25 yards had me dialed back in. Now I'm just waiting on the backup gun to come back.

The best part is it didn't cost me anything! Well $5 to FedEx to ensure it got delivered when I was home.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following the XD forums for about 5 years and I have only heard it brought up a couple of times, including my own cracked slide. I never heard anybody I shoot with bring it up or anybody at a match bring it up, so I'm assuming it's not common.

I didn't ask SA in my particular case if it was common.

The XD's actually have a reputation of being very durable, but if you shoot them enough, something will eventually break. Intern, if you shoot them enough and follow the post on this forum, you'll learn to look for signs, or learn what parts to regularly change so you don't have a failure at the worst possible time.

In my case I chose to dismiss the crack as just being a badly worn spot with some weird discoloration. My gut was telling me I should possibly get the gun checked by SA, but I got lazy and continued to shoot it. Of course, the slide decided break in the middle of a stage at a major match. Never again; if I see anything that looks even slightly suspicious, off to SA it goes. That's why it's wise to have a backup gun or two.

• 7 months later...

I had mine break in the same spot. The gun was working properly, but the slide would not lock back far enough when the mag when empty and the first round of the next mag wouldn't get picked up. I even shot a match with it like this but I had to make sure I didn't run dry. The gun had more than 25,000 rounds through it.

They fixed it quickly at no charge and when I took it back to the range to sight it in I found that it was dead on. In fact it fired tighter groups than it ever had. I didn't know I could shoot so good. Maybe their fitting process in the repair shop is better than the factory. Hopefully it will break again in another 25,000 and I can get a free tune up :)

• 6 months later...

I just had to send mine back again to have them replace my extractor. This time they sent my trigger kit back in a baggy and charged me a small fee for the new sear and trigger bar. I mentioned it in another thread and was advised to never return the gun with aftermarket parts in it. I was a little ticked, but the trigger kit went back in just fine. I guess it's a liability issue. Small price to pay for a lifetime warrantee. My gun has over 50,000 rounds through it.

Edited by Just4FunLP

• 3 weeks later...

1. Pistol was received at SA on a Thursday afternoon and was shipped back to me the following Wednesday.

2. I received a replacement slide. Just what I asked for. The slide was unserialized.

3. As my parts were removed from the old slide and before they were placed in the new slide...they were polished. No cost.

4. I received my pistol back BETTER than I sent it in.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sending in my XDM 5.25 due to a crack slide. I was wondering if I should remove all of my new parts and put the parts that came with the gun back on? I have the Powder River trigger, polished striker, striker indicator, reduced springs, stainless steel guide rod, etc. By the way, SA customer service has been fantastic so far.

Yea. I would. If that's their policy (just an assumption on my part), then why not just put the original parts back in and save everyone the trouble. Just my opinion. It's just a cracked slide. It's not like they're troubleshooting anything complex. I will say my experience was very positive. My gun had a lot of miles on it when this happened and it was noticeably more accurate when it came back. I really like SA.

• 3 weeks later...