Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum frame?

Rick88

I think that will depend a lot on how the parts are fitted, the alloy used, and especially the anodizing. Too many variables. Sigs are known to go for 6 figure round counts, but there have been cracking problems with AL 1911 frames.

I think that will depend a lot on how the parts are fitted, the alloy used, and especially the anodizing. Too many variables. Sigs are known to go for 6 figure round counts, but there have been cracking problems with AL 1911 frames.

Thanks for the reply, I'm aware of the variables and was just asking in general terms. 6 figure for the sig sounds impressive for aluminum.

sv-cop... 10k seems very low, I would put that in the junk range, so based on what you have been told is it safe to say that most aluminum frames are junk?

Aluminum frames are not junk but they have their place especially on 1911s. They are ment for a gun that's carried a lot and shot a little. For that role they do a very good job. On a competition gun that gets shot a lot a steel frame fits that role better. Most carry guns don't see a ton of recreational rounds through them as they are ist shot enough to prove reliability and remain proficient

I've seen slide to frame fit turn to slop in less than 5k rounds on all steel 1911s from a high end company. IMHO, the best way to build an aluminum framed gun is to use tool steel inserts like Infinity does. That way, you don't have steel in direct contact with the aluminum.

Thats a interesting option...

Edit to add: after reading your post I looked into this it seems infinity offers two aluminum frames listed in the competition frame section but I could find no reference to the steel inserts does that come standard or is it an option? I pulled this from their site.

Alpha and Omega of Quality
You know Infinity is synonymous with quality. But it all begins with an Infinity frame - the foundation upon which a great firearm is built. Infinity manufactures all of its frames from bar stock 4140 alloy, 416 stainless steel or 7075 T-6 billet aircraft aluminum, milled to exacting specifications by state of the art software and senior level machinists to ensure the overall quality of construction.

Edited by Rick88

I've read some articles in the past that 1911's with aluminum frames just don't last when used in a competition setting. It may also have to do with the way the slide impacts the frame. However, articles I've read were regarding the 45 ACP.

Maybe the durability would be different when shooting with 9mm, especially with thickened dustcovers (for a rail).

I don't think anybody said they wouldn't run after 10K rounds, its just how loose of a slide frame fit is acceptable to the shooter/owner. My first issued P220 was used and was very sloppy. It still shot fairly well as I recall. At least good enough to qualify.

But, if you're paying for a 3-5K pistol, I would expect that you would want a pristine slide/frame fit for many thousands of rounds to squeak out every inch of accuracy you can.