Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to .308ARs- what to modify

openclassterror

I am going to the Ironman match this summer, and used the long bonus targets as an excuse to buy a DPMS LR308 with the 24" heavy stainless barrel. I have never had any interest in Heavy Metal and all my long range shooting has been with bolt guns. However, I own and run a CNC machine shop that makes gun parts so I can do just about any mod imaginable. So, armed with that info, what mods are in order for a dedicated long distance type AR?

My initial thoughts-

Thread barrel for a good comp

Flute to reduce weight and increase surface area for cooling

Adj gas block

lighten carrier

Gunfighter charging handle

Bipod mount

Any known weaknesses on this platform? Other ideas?

Thanks!

A heavy BCG, extraction and ejection are really the main weaknesses in the 308 AR platforms. If you are running a DPMS based platform then call JP and order one of their new 308 extractors. Either run a DPMS dual coil (coil inside a coil) extractor spring, or do the rubber bumper and o-ringed, extractor set up to help with extractor tension and spring longevity. A good brake and an adjustable gas block are a must.

There will be lots of brake suggestions and of course I have my favorites too. My unbiased choice is the Dynamic Resistance 308 brake, sold at Carbon Arms. The DR is short, light weight, easy to keep clean and is as effective as any other top 308 brake on the market today. My biased choice is my personally designed 308 brake, which will debut in 2 weeks at HeMan Nats. Not many people notice my brake, but they sure notice how flat my 308 rocks hammers.

Edited by co-exprs

i just went the same route Tom, after last years IRON MAN decided i needed a LR platform.

ended up doing a 260 build.
24" lilja match barrel.
i opted for no fluting since weight isnt an issue, ( the rifle is staged and never has to move)
i went with a gemtech/amtac brake only because its the quick mount for my supressor.

havent messed with a low mass bolt yet. did a coated Black Rain.
trigger i went with a Geissele SDE, love the flat feel, and the 2 stage makes take up on the long shots super nice.

topped it off with a vortex razor 5-20IMG_20140322_152139_458_zpsob81gli4.jpg

...My biased choice is my personally designed 308 brake, which will debut in 2 weeks at HeMan Nats. Not many people notice my brake, but they sure notice how flat my 308 rocks hammers.

Give us some deets man! I haven't even received my Carbon Arms DR yet, now you hint at a design by you?

...My biased choice is my personally designed 308 brake, which will debut in 2 weeks at HeMan Nats. Not many people notice my brake, but they sure notice how flat my 308 rocks hammers.

Give us some deets man! I haven't even received my Carbon Arms DR yet, now you hint at a design by you?

Are you coming to HeMan? If so... you will see it in the flesh in about 10 days. My fellow HeMen (and women) get to be the first to see it.